+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default Kids won't eat. Ideas?

Ds1 and ds2 won't eat! They turn their noses up at everything I make.

With ds2 (2.5) we just offer him food and make him something else later (sandwich, fruit ect).

I doubt know what to do about ds1 though. He is 5.5yo. Every dinner time is a battle. He gets served food and well automatically say he doesn't like it then spend the next hour stuffing around at the table. Or getting up continuously. All I say for that hour is 'get up at the table' and 'eat!'. I'm tired of it.

Tonight he was stuffing around and knocked his plate off the table, so now he doesn't have to eat it.

He knows the rules are eat or go hungry. I just don't know if that's the right way to go about it. Dp works away so I have to fight this battle alone, and hire with a newbie its even harder.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    Is it just the evening meal that he is refusing or everything? Is he genuinely not hungry (maybe snacked too close to dinner time?)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Is it just at dinner time? If so, I would forget it - give him a piece of fruit, a sandwich or something you know he will eat. I think by evenings young kids are overtired, had enough to eat during the day and cause is unnecessary stress. Tonight my 2yr old had half a banana and a cup of milk for dinner and my 4yr old had a rice cake with cheese - it's what they wanted and I knew they had eaten during the day and had lots of water. It's hot too, we do lose our appetite a bit in the heat.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to MummaOJ For This Useful Post:

mrswhitehouse  (24-01-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Dinner is overrated. Both my two have decent lunches and then often just fruit & yoghurt for dinner.

Save yourself the stress.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to 2Bboys For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    He doesn't have any vegies and its really fussy with fruits (with eat apple without skin and banana).

Thanks
    Reviews
    My 28mth old had tinned spag and toast tonight. He is very picky and has a summer cold and a bit miserable so I just gave him something I know he would eat. One tip I have learnt though is to always have something on the plate that they like so if they don't eat anything else they will at least have that, be it bread, dry cereal, crackers as a "safe food".

Thanks
    Reviews
    Tonight was pork chop vegies he has eaten before (carrot and beans) and fried haloumi cheese. He ate the pork and cheese. I don't know if I should push him to eat more. Dp is really strict at dinner times, but hasn't successfully gotten ds to eat.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yay. He ate something!!! Win. Don't push just ask him if he is done and remind him that there is nothing later. Our job is to provide the healthy food we can't make them eat it but the more you make a big deal about it the less they eat.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to WiseOldOwl For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by WiseOldOwl View Post
    Yay. He ate something!!! Win. Don't push just ask him if he is done and remind him that there is nothing later. Our job is to provide the healthy food we can't make them eat it but the more you make a big deal about it the less they eat.
    That's why im conflicted. I worry he doesn't eat enough. I don't want to create bad feelings about food though, dp really wants us to make strict rules about dinner time. At what age should he really be sitting down eating what it's served?

(He only ate about a tablespoon of food all up)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    My DS is a similar age and is not a fan of cooked vegies (will eat roast potatoes and corn on the cob and JUST started to accept the broccoli that I've been putting on his plate FOREVER with no success!) but he will eat raw veg and salad happily (he likes olive oil and balsamic vinegar as a dressing.

With fruit and veg, I just have always given it to them to try both raw and cooked and prepared differently - grated raw carrot or star shaped roast potatoes and just have them try one bite and then just leave it.

I also think that having them help prepare vegies (at 5.5 they can handle a paring knife - it's hard to watch but they love it!) and fruit and you can casually offer little tastes as they go. I also like to serve food in platters and bowls and the kids can serve themselves.

My kids definitely don't eat everything but I never wanted to make dinner time a battle and when they're little I found it more useful to look at what they were eating over a week rather than day by day.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to misskittyfantastico For This Useful Post:

IndigoJ  (24-01-2014)