+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Feeding to Sleep

I've gotten into the habit of feeding 9 mth DS to sleep. Actually, I've been doing it for a couple of months because it works and is easy most nights. He will still go to sleep sometimes by rocking. Some nights I'm ok with the fact that he's fed to sleep and other nights I think should stop doing it.

At the moment he has a bottle at night and then normally sleeps for 7-8 hours, has another bottle and then goes straight back to sleep. His naps after a bottle can last anywhere from 40 minutes to 3 hours.

So, does anyone else feed to sleep? How and when did you stop? How long was the adjustment? What about the night waking - do/did you still feed to sleep? (I don't think I would have the energy to do anything else at that time of night)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I fed DD to sleep until she stopped having the bottle so wheb she was a year an half. It was very easy to do so and after a long day I wasn't prepared for any struggles.

From bottle we went to rocking but mostly I just had to hold her till she falls asleep, this lasted for a month then I sat on bed next to her and by 2 and half she was happy for kiss and good night.

Edit: re night wakings, DD was never one to wake up much but when she did rocking or a pat is what I did. I would not have energy to feed in the middle of night. I should add at the time we slept in same room but different beds.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I fed both my kids to sleep as babies. Both of them stopped wanting to be fed/cuddled around 10 - 12 months (with no encouragement from me) and would only go to sleep in their beds on their own. I think if your happy doing it, do it cause they're little for a short time.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to new mum 15809 For This Useful Post:

Mambo  (23-01-2014),nonny  (23-01-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Bub is bit over 3 months old and from about 6 weeks old got into a night time sleep routine kind of with not much help. I guess Im lucky.I used to feed her till she fell asleep in my arms up to about week 8 and then move her to bassinet but from then on if she drank all the bottle and was still awake in my arms I will just put her in bassinet still awake but sleepy and walk away. I come back usually a few mins later and she has put herself to bed. So maybe try that

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Hi

I fed both mine to sleep.... First bf then bottle ff.... It started cos they just fell asleep when bf anyway. I admit with both ive had problems ...ds wouldnt go back to sleep at night without bottle but he got over it within a few days of not giving it to him and we ceased his bed time bottle / all bottles by about 2yr 8 months... He sleeps very well. Dd on the other hand........is 21 months.... Still wakes once or twice a night for a bottle and we cave cos a) we tried to make her quit and she screamed for a month b) we havent had the balls to try again .... But we should! I feel quite guilty and parent-fail about her bottle situation and wished i hadn't fed her to sleep cos she is so determined, she refused to give in . It didn't bother me with ds, but it took us so long of standing next to her cot at night shusshingand patting her etc that when i went back to work it was just quicker to give her the bottle when she woke rather than "try" to get back to sleep with settling...

Thanks
    Reviews
    I breastfed DD to sleep until about 5 months I think. Then she was rocked in my arms until about 1 when she started biting me when I would rock her. So i just put her into her cot one night, said goodnight and she fell asleep after a little grizzle. By night 3 no grizzles and she'd fall asleep for her nap too. She was a good night sleeper so didn't have to deal with night waking unless something was wrong.

DS is 7 months and used to be fed to sleep but now likes to be rocked to sleep, except for the 5am wake up when I lay with him and he falls asleep on the boob. He won't be fed to sleep any other time though. I'm sure, like his sister, he'll go to sleep on his own when he's ready.

Sent from my GT-S5830 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    I fed bub to sleep at night until he was about 12? weeks. After he fell asleep I would have to hold him for 20 minutes before transferring him to the cot. he would only sleep for a little bit, then he would wake up.

Anyway it was all a big fat pain in the butt and did nothing to improve the already trying arsenic hours.

I did a bit of reading and figured feeding to sleep probably wasn't helping. So I stopped. Tried other tactics. White noise, musical mobile (dumb!) classical music etc. Arsenic hours continued. Then I did more reading and figure ld I was probably stimulating bub too much before bed. So the TV/music/white noise eta was cut. Within 2 nights bub went down at 7pm like a dream and stayed asleep until around 7am. 2 nights of pain was well worth having bub sleep through with no settling required from approx 3 months.

Best of luck whatever you decide to do...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014
    I feed DS3 to sleep. He is 7 months old. He sleeps through the night mostly and has 1 big nap and 1 catnap during the day.

I also fed DS1 to sleep until he was about 16 months old. One day he just stopped. Fed DS2 to sleep until he was about 18 months old. Then rocked him to sleep until he was 2.5yrs old. Not advisable lol.

We also have white noise playing in DS3's room, he doesnt sleep properly without it it drowns out the noise from the other 2 kids. He also has a blankie comfort item. Best thing we ever did with DS2 & 3

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you all for your responses.

I guess I feel a bit guilty that he isn't self settling like people say he 'should' be. It's good to know that other's have stopped on their own. I think I'll keep going for a while and hope that this happens. To be honest, I enjoy the cuddles as I work full time and don't feel like I get to spend enough time with him during the week.

Thanks
    Reviews
    If it's not a problem for you, then just do what works for you? Sounds like he's getting good sleeps.

I feed to sleep (bf and he usually drifts off anyway) or rock to sleep. My baby is 9 months and a terrible sleeper, just can't self settle, needs the close contact. It can be tiring sometimes but to me it feels natural to feed and or rock/sing to sleep.

Don't worry about what your baby "should" be doing. If it starts becoming a problem for you maybe then have a look at changing ur bedtime routine. Don't feel guilty he might even give it up on his own, especially as he has more solids.