+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    ~Marigold~ is offline You make me happy, when skies are grey
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MrJones&Me View Post
    I had no idea it was a myth! Interesting... I came across so many stories that state it originated from the black plague theory.
    Kinda boring song now, lol.

"Life Is Ours, We Live It Our Way".
    Last edited by ~Marigold~; 23-01-2014 at 19:56.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by amyd View Post
    Not so much an interesting fact but I am always astounded by the level of honesty in the book 'Black Beauty'. It openly talks of death and goes into reasonable detail about some of the painful procedures they used to inflict on horses.
    My DD was reading this for the first time last night! (A shortened version anyway). She called me into the room when she got up to the bit where Black Beauty says he sees a ginger horse dead on the back of a cart, and he says "I think it was Ginger, at least I hope it was". She was horrified and couldn't understand why he would say that about his friend, so I had to explain it to her. Poor horsies. That was my favourite book when I was little but it was so sad.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to CMF For This Useful Post:

Arlais  (24-01-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LotusMum View Post
    Woops, sorry, I edited my comment. I stand by what I wrote though lol. In regards to the drugs, nope, also not true, although its not hard to believe it.
    What it was attributed to was a type of migraine that was named after Alice in Wonderland. Apparently it leads sufferes to feel disconnedted to their bodies, see auras, feel as though their size has changed and so on. Its pretty full on.
    Oh wow that's really interesting!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've been reading Victorian-age books to my DD and I've found the same thing! I think it was due to the high infant mortality of the age. Most of the books mention the death of children, possibly because many children would have had a sibling or a friend die at some stage so it would have been a normal part of life.

I had to give up reading The Water Babies to my daughter. I remembered it fondly from my childhood, but reading it now the first third of the book deals with how often the poor chimney sweep is beaten constantly by his master (as a humorous thing!) and then thinly-veiled allegories of children drowning and becoming water babies. It's so depressing!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I read the other day that in the original sleeping beauty the while the princess was in a coma she was raped by a king and woke while giving birth. There are more that I have heard but can't remember them but still that is kind of messed up.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    http://listverse.com/2009/01/06/9-gr...-tale-origins/

How true they all are I do not know but definitely makes an interesting read!