+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Peter Pan....wait...what?!

So, I was looking up on the original books of a few Disney classics, such as Peter Pan. Wow, they're quite dark and messed up! I really want to read them now!

Apparently Peter Pan was an angel that held children's hands on their way to heaven. This is why the children never grew up. I also read that Peter Pan (originally) kidnapped children and would kill them when they got too old. Captain Hook and his pirates were actually The lost boys who escaped Peter Pan.

Alice in Wonderland was written buy a guy who was in love with his boss's daughter(teen/child?), and wrote a book for her, while high on drugs. Not sure "how" true the story behind the book is but still interesting!

What Disney classic's or other popular cartoons which were originally books interesting facts do you know? (or rumors lol)?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Noooo surely not. Off to research now
    I definitely know that is not true about Alice in Wonderland. That story was written after telling a couple of sisters a story to pass the time. The story was told to Alice Liddell and was given to her as a present and then published. I love Alice in Wonderland.
    Last edited by LotusMum; 23-01-2014 at 19:29.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by LotusMum View Post
    No, Alice in Wonderland was written by Lewis Carroll. He hated children, didnt like em at all, in particular American children. However, he did like a little girl named Alice so he wrote the story for her. It was innocent.
    I cant speak on the other example, but I just cant have my fave story besmirched like that lol
    Oh really? I never heard that. Just multiple people have told me the version I mentioned, but I'm trying to look it up lol. Yeah a lot of old stories are quite dark I believe.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Not so much an interesting fact but I am always astounded by the level of honesty in the book 'Black Beauty'. It openly talks of death and goes into reasonable detail about some of the painful procedures they used to inflict on horses.

~Marigold~ is offline You make me happy, when skies are grey
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    ooh cool topic How fascinating!
    I have also heard rumours relating to drugs surrounding Alice In Wonderland.
    Similar are the history behind many children's nursery rhymes...the lyrics are often dark and quite macabre; "Ring around the rosies, a pocket full of posies, a tissue a tissue, we all fall down".. is based on the many deaths caused by the black plague.
    And I don't know the meaning behind it, but Rock a Bye baby has some pretty twisted lyrics too... lol.
    Also London Bridge is Falling Down... really? A tad scary!

"Life Is Ours, We Live It Our Way".

Thanks
    Reviews
    Disney adapted a lot of Hans Christian Anderson and the brothers Grimm stories. Some of them are horrible to read.
    I think the little mermaid was a hca story. But instead of the happy marriage , he marries another princess. She is offered a knife to kill him but can't. So she jumps back into the sea to die.

MrJones&Me is offline sometimes as useless as the 'ueue' in queue
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ~Marigold~ View Post
    Similar are the history behind many children's nursery rhymes...the lyrics are often dark and quite macabre; "Ring around the rosies, a pocket full of posies, a tissue a tissue, we all fall down".. is based on the many deaths caused by the black plague.

"Life Is Ours, We Live It Our Way".
    Not true, thankfully!!

http://www.snopes.com/language/literary/rosie.asp

8. The Following User Says Thank You to MrJones&Me For This Useful Post:

ChickyBee  (24-01-2014)

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    The caterpillar in Alice in Wonderland is smoking a hookah although what is in the hookah is not mentioned (from memory).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Wasn't the original Peter Pan the novel by JM Barrie? I'm sure I read it years ago and that's where Disney got the movie from? It had nothing in it about Peter Pan being an angel but was very similar to the movie?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Woops, sorry, I edited my comment. I stand by what I wrote though lol. In regards to the drugs, nope, also not true, although its not hard to believe it.
    What it was attributed to was a type of migraine that was named after Alice in Wonderland. Apparently it leads sufferes to feel disconnedted to their bodies, see auras, feel as though their size has changed and so on. Its pretty full on.