+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Does this sound like pre-eclampsia?

When I told my mom I was pregnant, she mentioned that’d she been on bed rest with me for two months before she delivered, due to high blood pressure. I asked her if it was pre-eclampsia as I understand that can be quite dangerous and possibly hereditary. However, that was 33 years ago and she doesn’t remember (she doesn’t have the best memory any more). My OB has already asked me once if she had it, as did the counsellor when we got the results from our NT scan. I just said I didn’t know at that time. But now with this new info, does being put on bed rest for high blood pressure sound like it could be pre-eclampsia?!

Obviously I will talk to my doc, but I won’t see him again for almost a month. I’m not TOO worried as I don’t think there’s a lot I can do (I’m generally pretty healthy) but well… I am a little bit worried!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I wouldn't be too worried. you sound like you're at your early stages of pregnancy and ob's always check blood pressure during routine checks. if he/she has anything to be concerned about they would advise you straight away.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm 13wks. I'd just like to do some more research if there's a chance this will happen to me

MrJones&Me is offline sometimes as useless as the 'ueue' in queue
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Pre-eclampsia is a pretty 'new' term, most of our parents will know it as toxaemia,
    , maybe ask her if she had that??

5. The Following User Says Thank You to MrJones&Me For This Useful Post:

Midwestgirl80  (23-01-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh good tip, thank you!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Asked my mom about toxemia - yep, that sounded familiar to her!! Fabulous. She also added her dad's mom died from it when was 3 days old. So that was good news...

MrJones&Me is offline sometimes as useless as the 'ueue' in queue
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Try not to stress yourself out about it though. If you are worried head to a chemist & buy one of those BP monitors, I got one for $60 and get your Dr to show you how to use it (The pharmacist might as well).

They are really on top of it these days and it can be watched and looked after a lot more effectively. Just let your Dr know you're worried & he/she should look after you

9. The Following User Says Thank You to MrJones&Me For This Useful Post:

Midwestgirl80  (24-01-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Easy to say, but try not to worry. Mention your family history at your next appointment. I don't know if there is anything you can do to prevent but guess worth a google? Otherwise just trust your doctors will be monitoring you, it's pretty common, we are all checked for it via blood pressure monitoring - and urine?? Not sure about that one actually, but I'd say if they know it's been in your family they will make sure they see you more regularly / make sure your blood pressure is checked by someone.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Try not to stress! 40yrs ago my mum was on bed rest for high bp that they couldn't bring down. But my brother was born healthy at 10 days over.

I developed high bp with my ds, at 24wks!! I had a scare around 30 wks where I had dizzy spells and seen flashy lights, so we went up to e.r.....I had slight keytones in my urine and bp was up a but too, and kept climbing... (lady delivering her baby a cubicle away in e.r. Where I could hear every moan, groan, grunt, curse, swear word and sobs probably didn't help)......everything was ok though. we managed it with lifestyle and medication. He was born 38+6, spontaneous waters breaking, perfectly healthy and is now almost 3, perfect in every way and also very smart! My bp has been fine since!

Proudly brought to you by me and my autocorrect fail device.