+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Daycare drop off tips

Ds is turning 2 and is very clingy, also has speech delay. I'm hoping to send him 1 day a week at a great centre which Ds1 attends.
    Today's drop off was a distaster. I don't think I could handle that each week, he was like a koala, clinging onto me, he even cried after he noticed I left (I was peaking)

Do you think I should ask my mum to drop him off for me? Would that make a difference? She is on the way, we're all local.
    Would that help him settle more?

OR

Should I just get my mum to mind him until he is kinder age? She is free. I just thought 1 day Childcare would help his speech and social skills.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    How long did it take for him to settle after you left? My DS started daycare 2 days last week and is still screaming when I leave but settles after a short while. When I ring about 10am they always say he is fine. You just have to be strong, it is very hard to hand them over and walk out when they are screaming for you but it will be better for him in the long run. Just reassure him you will be back later, kiss and go. The staff will handle it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    You said he "noticed" you left - does that mean you snuck away? It's probably better to (quickly) say goodbye and that you'll be back later, otherwise it's just reinforcing his fear that you'll disappear on him. You could try getting your mum to drop him off just until he gets used to the centre without the added distress of separating from you there and then start dropping him off yourself after a while. Or speak to the staff about some gradual transition visits (not sure if they do this or not). Just some ideas

I have a very clingy boy too. He's 3yo and we didn't send him to childcare at that age for that reason but we plan on starting this year. Good luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    If it were me, I would wait another year, and maybe do another social activity with him like little kickers or gymbaroo where he gets to interact with other kids/people? Especially if your mum can take him and then he could start pre school at 3?

My DS was 3 in October and just started pre school 2 days a week on Monday and didn't even blink when I left ( I was the one almost crying!)

I read in "Raising Boys" if possible to delay formal care for boys until 3

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Thanks all.
    I actually didn't sneak away, while he was playing in the sand pit, I said "bye, bye". But because of his speech delay, I don't think he really understood I was actually going.

I think my mum can take him to a playgroup.

If I take him out of day care, the waiting lists are ridiculous, so I'll probably have to wait 20 months to - 2 years for the older rooms which are easier to get into.
    Last edited by 2BlueBirds; 23-01-2014 at 09:05.

Thanks
    Reviews
    A friend gave us a great tip which has worked for us.
    Take them early and give them breakfast there, they look forward to it (if food interests them) and it's not so overwhelming with lots of kids at that time.
    It takes a little while for everyone to get used to a new routine but it does pull at the heart strings. One day at a time x

7. The Following User Says Thank You to MiloMel For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (23-01-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Mine still cries at drop off but is fine 5 mins later once he's playing

Thanks
    Reviews
    I just called and he was doing well.
    I might get my mum to drop him off 9am and pick up 11.30am just for a couple of months. Then I can pick him up after work.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would be more inclined to pick him up after lunch . Give him time to enjoy lunch and a nap with the other kids

Thanks
    Reviews
    What the childcares around here suggest is that you visit the childcare in your own time and spend a few hours with your son playing there with the other kids and talking to the carers. Do this for a few days before the first day you leave him so that it's not new for him.
    Also 1 day may not be enough, by the time he goes back it's been a whole week and he's forgotten about the kindy.
    Things are so much better when intake my son in twice a week, a couple days in between. He settles a lot quicker and isn't AS upset when I leave.

Mummy of DS born July 2012

Excuse the iPhone auto-fail.