+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week

Default Cost in getting a cat

Ok i am not cat person so i know nothing.

Dd wants a Bengal cat. She found a free kitten but is wanting to know what her costs would be in setting up her flat for a kitten.

So far we got
    Microchip- how old when you do this?
    Registering it with council. - does this need to be done straight away?
    Vax- again what and rough idea of prices
    Liter tray
    A carrier - can see take it on the tram/trains etc..

So what else will she need.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Many councils require cats to be kept within your own house/yard so perhaps some cat enclosure for outside so it doesn't escape. I know our council do follow through on this and pick up cats found wandering. We just keep our cats inside although when we move house I am building an enclosure.
    Also consider pet insurance. Ours is very good costs for cats around $250 per year.
    Other cost I can think of is flea etc protection. The spot on ones are much easier to apply but more expensive.
    Edit just saw it's a flat so maybe just a little enclosure on the balcony.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to bezzy For This Useful Post:

LoveLivesHere  (23-01-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    She no outdoor space at all. Will she need to take it for a walk like dog.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014
    Desexing?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

6. The Following User Says Thank You to peanutmonkey For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Bengal cats are very mischievous & some say they are the "dogs" of the cat world. She could & probably should teach it to walk on a lead/harness.

It will also need regular worming.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Smyles For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014
    Quote Originally Posted by anewme View Post
    She wont need to, but it is nice to give cats some time outside too. I had a harness for my cat before we built an enclosure.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to peanutmonkey For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by anewme View Post
    She won't need to take it for walks if she doesn't want to. I have three indoor cats and only one goes outside on a leash.

Factor in toys, cats and especially kittens will get bored, so some toys and a scratching post is a good idea. Places like the reject shop have really cheap toys.

Food can cost as much or as little as you like. Mine get optimum which is $20 for 3kg. That lasts about a week with three. But there is much cheaper cat food around.

Litter, again as much or as little as you want. Home brand litter is $1.50 a bag and will last about a week if she scoops the poop out. Crystals are more expensive but last longer and don't have an odour.

Litter trays are maybe $5 from woolworths. There are hooded ones and all sorts of styles but I'd start with a basic one and see if the cat has any particular habits that would benefit from anther style. My cats kick litter everywhere but won't use a hooded one, so I have my litter box in a washing basket on too of a towel so they don't kick it over.

Because mine are inside, they get wormed once every six months. It costs about $20 for the tablets. Flea collars about $10 a piece and last 5 months.

A brush is a good idea, it's good to let them get used to it when they're babies. About $4-5 for a cheap one, you can get a better one later if you need it.

Desexing, mine were $100 for boys and $210 for my girl. Vaccinations are about $80 each, there's three for kittens, and then one booster that mine get at their checkup. Annual checkup and vaccination is about $200 here.

If she plans on taking it on trams etc then a carrier is an awesome idea. About $20-30 from a cheap shop. Not the best quality, but if she isn't using it much, she doesn't need a fancy one.

A blanket and a bed are a good idea even if the cat sleeps with her. You can get little pet blankets for $5 and a bed for $10. Set it up in the laundry or spare room etc so that if the kitten is the type to get anxious or boisterous she can have 'time out' in the laundry, and it's also a safe place to sleep.

Microchip - legally a cat cannot be given away or sold without one, but often they aren't done. I suggest at her first vax appt she asks the vet about it.

Register with the council after it's desexed. It's cheaper to register desexed animals. Prices vary from council to council.

Hope that helps.
    Last edited by SeymourTheBear; 23-01-2014 at 09:14.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to SeymourTheBear For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    On the food thing please avoid the cheap supermarket dry foods! Especially in a male cat. My cat had to be put to sleep last year from eating cheap food, it creates crystals in their bladder and blocks their urinary tract, extremely painful and expensive to fix and once it happens it can reoccur easily.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to peanutmonkey For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by peanutmonkey View Post
    On the food thing please avoid the cheap supermarket dry foods! Especially in a male cat. My cat had to be put to sleep last year from eating cheap food, it creates crystals in their bladder and blocks their urinary tract, extremely painful and expensive to fix and once it happens it can reoccur easily.

Yes I was going to say the same. Cat food can be cheap, but it is at the expense of your cats health. More expensive foods mean a healthier cat, a nicer, healthier coat and a happier cat!
    Mine used to get whiskas, but once I changed to optimum (still middle of the line), the change in their temperament and fur was amazing.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to SeymourTheBear For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by SeymourTheBear View Post
    Yes I was going to say the same. Cat food can be cheap, but it is at the expense of your cats health. More expensive foods mean a healthier cat, a nicer, healthier coat and a happier cat!
    Mine used to get whiskas, but once I changed to optimum (still middle of the line), the change in their temperament and fur was amazing.
    My cats dry food costs $50 but lasts a month for 1 cat and 1 kitten. Its totally worth it to know they're not going to end up in the horrible pain my last fur baby was in, I miss him terribly, I'd give anything to know then what I know now so he was still with me

18. The Following User Says Thank You to peanutmonkey For This Useful Post: