+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Can anyone tell me how to teach child to read?

I might be going about it the wrong way and im getting frustrated and so is dd. how do you teach sight words etc correctly?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I started off with letter sounds, then moved onto words that could be sounded out. After that I started with sight words. I used Jolly Phonics and bought some workbooks to help with it. I also enrolled the kids in Reading Eggs online which they enjoyed doing. Reading Eggs have apps for ipad and iphone which are sometimes free.

We were given sight words on cards from school with DD1 which I used with DD2. We started with a few and would get them out whenever we had time eg at a coffee shop and make a game. When DD2 knew a few more words we would put sentences together with them.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to abibelsmum For This Useful Post:

GlitterFarts  (22-01-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ditto the ABC Reading Eggs. I know several prep classes that use this regularly. And you can get books to go with the program - I bought my niece a set.

Also, have a look at what Mem Fox has to say about teaching kids to read:
    http://memfox.com/for-parents/

Thanks
    Reviews
    This close to starting prep I really wouldn't worry and would wait to see how her teacher approaches learning to read. Then you can adopt the same strategies as the teacher and reinforce what she's learning at school. At our school very few children starting prep can read beyond knowing the alphabet (and many don't even know that yet) and they pick it up fairly quickly provided there's parental support at home.

Please don't stress, you'll be amazed at how quickly they learn that first year.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I wouldn't worry about teaching anything. Reading at home should be a joy not a chore. I would be reading to her, talking about the story, engaging with the characters and illustrations and talking about how the story made her feel. Developing a love of stories is important and it's important not to kill it by making it work.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to babyla For This Useful Post:

debsch  (22-01-2014),MissMuppet  (22-01-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I read in another thread that your child is starting school. I wouldn't bother trying to teach them. That's what school is for.

If you really want to teach something, teach letters of the alphabet and their sounds.

Anything more, your child could possibly be bored in school.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

GlitterFarts  (22-01-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    I honestly wouldn't stress. Just make books fun and available. DS is nearly 6 and DD 8.5 and I never taught them to read but we've always read to them (still do)and they both love reading and books. Reading should be fun and I love seeing them read for pleasure (DS reads Angry Birds and Star Wars books and things like The Twits by Roald Dahl.
    Last edited by misskittyfantastico; 22-01-2014 at 20:33. Reason: lol Dahl not Dhal

11. The Following User Says Thank You to misskittyfantastico For This Useful Post:

debsch  (22-01-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by MissMuppet View Post
    This close to starting prep I really wouldn't worry and would wait to see how her teacher approaches learning to read. Then you can adopt the same strategies as the teacher and reinforce what she's learning at school. At our school very few children starting prep can read beyond knowing the alphabet (and many don't even know that yet) and they pick it up fairly quickly provided there's parental support at home.

Please don't stress, you'll be amazed at how quickly they learn that first year.
    I first heard about Jolly Phonics through the school as that is the program it school was using for K-2. We already had a subscription to Reading Eggs and then the school started using it as well.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My mum always brags about the fact that I could read at 3, and always put it down to how much time she spent reading with me. I've noticed the same thing with DS, he has a few books he loves that we've read over and over again, and now at 3.5 I'm catching him reading to himself. Some pages he's getting the wording exactly right, it's just from memory. I agree to make it a fun thing, don't worry too much about teaching. It will come in it's own time.

Age 20, engaged, mummy to 3yo DS and TTC his sibling! Living life backwards

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Lalasmooch For This Useful Post:

ozeymumof5  (22-01-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    If, as others say, your daughter is starting school... I wouldn't try to teach her to read at all.

I don't know a single teacher (and I know a lot) who would expect or even see it as beneficial for a child to be able to read when they start school.

At that age, I'd just be ensuring that there's plenty of access to written language (books, takeaway menus, scrap books, posters etc.). Being able to read her own name would be handy, but otherwise you can follow what her teacher does when she starts school.