+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Tipping

In a restaurant or cafe, do you do it?
    Chatting with a friend this morning who is adamant it's standard practice in Aust, I didn't think so but now I'm not sure if I'm just stingy?!
    Is it standard/expected?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014
    Quote Originally Posted by RobinSparkles View Post
    In a restaurant or cafe, do you do it?
    Chatting with a friend this morning who is adamant it's standard practice in Aust, I didn't think so but now I'm not sure if I'm just stingy?!
    Is it standard/expected?
    I dont think its standard or expected because wages here are higher than in america etc. But I always tip if the food and service was good. I was a waitress so I like to make other wait staff feel good for their hard work

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

3. The Following User Says Thank You to peanutmonkey For This Useful Post:

Pusheen The Cat  (22-01-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Over here, I don't think it's standard or expected, however I think it's pretty common to leave a tip. Even if it's a small 'keep the change' type tip.

I'm not made of money, so sometimes the tip isn't big, but I like to leave a little something.

I would only not tip if the standard of service was really bad.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Degrassi For This Useful Post:

smallpotatoes  (22-01-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I don't think it's standard.

MrJones&Me is offline sometimes as useless as the 'ueue' in queue
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I generally don't, or if I do it's a 'keep the change' one. I didn't think waiters got to keep their tips mostly? A lot I have come across said it goes back into the company etc?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014
    Quote Originally Posted by MrJones&Me View Post
    I generally don't, or if I do it's a 'keep the change' one. I didn't think waiters got to keep their tips mostly? A lot I have come across said it goes back into the company etc?
    I think it depends on the restaurant. We all pooled ours at the end of the shift and split evenly between waitstaff with kitchen getting 10% of it towards their after work drink fund.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    It's not standard here as waitstaff get paid pretty well. I tip if the service is really good, but that doesn't happen too often in Perth

I normally do a "keep the change", mainly because I hate change haha or I just throw it in the tip jar.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Same here. I tip if the food & service is good. If it's rubbish & the waitstaff do the 'I can't see you' thing then there is no way I'm leaving a tip.

SuperGranny is offline Worlds best grandma! Winner 2012 - Most Helpful Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I think it is not standard practice, but it is becoming common here is aus. I have seen tip bowls on the counters of restaurants. One I noticed had a world vision card so I guess the donations went to that charity. I thought that was a good idea. I think people don't mind handing back the small change as a tip, but I hope it never becomes routine or expected. It is tricky travelling overseas, having to remember that you have to add the tax, and then also a tip. Pain in the b*tt. Marie.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    No I don't tip unless it is outstanding service. I did when I've in the USA. I do write letters or fill in comment cards if I get good service anywhere Eg bunnings target restaurants.