+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6141516
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lemonpancakes View Post
    She infuriated me too and I was hoping the hosts would step in and say that her AP methods don't work for every parent. I hope no exhausted mums struggling with breast feeding or sleep issues were watching that, because if I watched that while my DD was very young I'd feel like a failure for bottle feeding and sleep training. I could not have done her style of attachment parenting, I need sleep and space! Her style is very mother-centric, whereas I loved having DH share the feeding and settling roles with me so I could have rest and independence.

Didn't she also say something at the end about women's bodies being built for breast feeding? Sexist much? We are so much more than a set of boobs. And I wish those intelligent career women hosting the show had spoken up. I doubt Ita Buttrose got to where she is being chained to a bed with a kid attached to her til age 3!
    It seemed to me from watching the interview that the hosts were approaching it from the perspective that AP was some wacky alternate approach to parenting and not that it was a universal standard. I thought Peaches answered the rather loaded questions quite well and was doing an admirable job of attempting to normalise her own parenting methods.

I also agree with a pp that saying that women are designed to bf is just stating a fact and not a sexist statement. Also, just so you know it is possible for "intelligent career women" to bf full term. The two things are not mutually exclusive. Your comment about being chained to a bed with a kid attached for three years only highlights the need for bf to be normalised in society.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DailyDiversion For This Useful Post:

Anjalee  (22-01-2014),Elijahs Mum  (22-01-2014),KaraB  (23-01-2014),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (23-01-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Let's use the substitute method shall we. "AP Parenting is just.....wrong".

Re the breastfeeding comments, breastfeeding didn't work out for me, due to many medical issues - but I don't find what she said about it insulting. There were also pictures of her baby with juice in a bottle, so she clearly ins't anti bottle feeding.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

KaraB  (23-01-2014),~Marigold~  (23-01-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Yeah I don't understand finding it insulting to say breasts are made for BFing. They are. Didn't work for me unfortunately but there you go. And actually mine did "work" in terms of I had milk, but there are so many other reasons apart from biological ones that make BFing impossible for some people.

That's fact not opinion. Of course some people can't have children and can't have vaginal births for many reasons but I'm pretty sure they wouldn't find in insulting to say that's what women's bodies are designed for.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to kw123 For This Useful Post:

beebs  (23-01-2014),KaraB  (23-01-2014),VicPark  (23-01-2014),~Marigold~  (23-01-2014)

~Marigold~ is offline You make me happy, when skies are grey
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by beebs View Post
    Let's use the substitute method shall we. "AP Parenting is just.....wrong".
    @beebs you got it. You may be one of the few who get what I'm saying.
    It was not about HER or her attachment parenting or her being a "hippie" or whatever. I have been clarifying myself over and over, I thought I made it pretty clear in my OP that the problem was, in my opinion, she was spreading incorrect information and putting down a method that is obviously quite misunderstood.

"Life Is Ours, We Live It Our Way".

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ~Marigold~ For This Useful Post:

beebs  (23-01-2014),VicPark  (23-01-2014)