+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast
    ~Marigold~ is offline You make me happy, when skies are grey
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Peaches Geldof talks attachment parenting.

... And p!sses me off in the process.

Just saw her in an interview and I think this girl really needs a lesson in keeping her incorrect opinions to herself.
    She is an AP advocate and good for her. But her claims that "controlled crying" parenting means people "just leaving their baby in a room and closing the door while they cry" is grossly misinformed and ignorant.
    Grrrr just hate it when "celebrities" use their soap box to spread inaccurate nonsense. She actually continued to say that the practice was "not right" not natural etc.
    It hit a sore spot and offended me because I struggled with getting DD to sleep at around 10 months and after initially feeling very reluctant to go that CC route (due to uneducated assumptions) I taught DD the art of sleeping and changed our lives. She was not once distressed or left alone. Get your facts straight girly.
    I just hate the fact that more and more people are listening to such incorrect descriptions and judging any mother who does not choose to sleep with their baby and labelling that as unnatural and wrong.
    Vent over.
    *mods please feel free to move this to a sleep/parenting style section if required.

"Life Is Ours, We Live It Our Way".
    Last edited by ~Marigold~; 22-01-2014 at 09:13.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ~Marigold~ For This Useful Post:

beebs  (22-01-2014),Blessedwith3boys  (22-01-2014),duncan_bayne  (22-01-2014),SugarSkull  (22-01-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Many cc and CIO parents do close the door and leave their kids to cry?

That's also my understanding of cc and CIO?

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

btmacxxx  (22-01-2014),DailyDiversion  (22-01-2014),october  (22-01-2014),Tainted  (22-01-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Maybe she just meant it didn't feel natural or wasn't right for her? I don't think it's good to spout incorrect information but I everyone is still entitled to an opinion.

A lot of people I know feel the same (including myself) about controlled crying, it's not for me. It doesn't feel natural and I personally don't like the idea of my child crying themselves to sleep. Doesn't mean I don't think it doesn't work for other mums/babies though. Especially as I have a baby who refuses every sleep so I totally get trying anything that works.

There is SO much advice out there on parenting especially breast vs bottle, co sleeping, sugar etc. At the end of the day every mum knows what's right for her own child so you have to take most of it with a grain of salt.

6. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Clementine Grace For This Useful Post:

callmedragon22  (22-01-2014),DailyDiversion  (22-01-2014),Elijahs Mum  (22-01-2014),LoCo  (22-01-2014),october  (22-01-2014),peanutmonkey  (22-01-2014),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (22-01-2014),wilding  (22-01-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    She infuriated me too and I was hoping the hosts would step in and say that her AP methods don't work for every parent. I hope no exhausted mums struggling with breast feeding or sleep issues were watching that, because if I watched that while my DD was very young I'd feel like a failure for bottle feeding and sleep training. I could not have done her style of attachment parenting, I need sleep and space! Her style is very mother-centric, whereas I loved having DH share the feeding and settling roles with me so I could have rest and independence.

Didn't she also say something at the end about women's bodies being built for breast feeding? Sexist much? We are so much more than a set of boobs. And I wish those intelligent career women hosting the show had spoken up. I doubt Ita Buttrose got to where she is being chained to a bed with a kid attached to her til age 3!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to lemonpancakes For This Useful Post:

SugarSkull  (22-01-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lemonpancakes View Post
    She infuriated me too and I was hoping the hosts would step in and say that her AP methods don't work for every parent. I hope no exhausted mums struggling with breast feeding or sleep issues were watching that, because if I watched that while my DD was very young I'd feel like a failure for bottle feeding and sleep training. I could not have done her style of attachment parenting, I need sleep and space! Her style is very mother-centric, whereas I loved having DH share the feeding and settling roles with me so I could have rest and independence.

Didn't she also say something at the end about women's bodies being built for breast feeding? Sexist much? We are so much more than a set of boobs. And I wish those intelligent career women hosting the show had spoken up. I doubt Ita Buttrose got to where she is being chained to a bed with a kid attached to her til age 3!
    You're making generalisations that other would find just as offensive. Why is it ok for you to ridicule?

Not everyone wants to grow up to be ita buttrose!

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

btmacxxx  (22-01-2014),DailyDiversion  (22-01-2014),october  (22-01-2014),wilding  (22-01-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Which interview was it?

But in her defense (not having seen the interview) I honestly thought that's what CC/CIO was too. That's the only way it's been described to me.

Thanks
    Reviews
    There is a massive difference between controlled crying and CIO. It is not one in the same approach.

13. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Lila123 For This Useful Post:

babyla  (22-01-2014),beebs  (22-01-2014),laray  (22-01-2014),MrsSS  (22-01-2014),Purple Lily  (22-01-2014),snowqu33n  (22-01-2014),SugarSkull  (22-01-2014),VicPark  (22-01-2014),~Marigold~  (22-01-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post

Have to admit I have had family members do this very thing, I've been there when the baby was screaming in his room, in the dark and they leave him for 5 mins, then 10 mins. I went in to get him and he was distraught, crying tears and grabbed onto me tight. That might not be the correct way to do it, but I've known a few people who do it that same way. They might have not been following the right protocol (of which I'm really not sure of myself).

People's own experiences alter their view of such things as controlled crying. I'm sure there are ways to do it without the child being distressed and I know it does work for lots of kids and helps them get to sleep.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lila123 View Post
    There is a massive difference between controlled crying and CIO. It is not one in the same approach.
    This.

Peaches Smeaches Marigold!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to babyla For This Useful Post:

~Marigold~  (22-01-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post

Me too....