+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I didn't have any drugs with previous pregnancies, but did have some gas whilst being stitched up. It made me very dizzy and I felt "drunk" lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kazza78 View Post
    Thanks for all the replies everyone. I may try a low dose with each contraction. But it's the nausea a vomiting that I know will distress me.
    During labour I didn't feel like it did anything. But it definately helped me breath through my contractions and work with my body instead of kust focusing on the pain in my back from a posterior bub. I didn't actually use it during the pushing stage.

After I delivered ds I needed quite a few stitches and they gave it back to me but obviously turned it up because it was so weird. I felt like I was having an outer body experience.

But I am so thankful for it because I started having a panic attack when they told me I needed stitches and it helped me calm down.

I didn't feel nauseas from it at all.

Honestly it does wear off quite quickly so if it makes you feel sick then you can stop using it and should feel ok again really quickly.

While I was getting stitches I stopped using it because I was worried ds was going to breath it in (Dont think he could have seeing as it wasn't near his face but hey that's what I was worrying about at the time) and after not long I could start to feel them doing the stitches (not actual pain, just them down there). I don't know how long it was but surely couldn't have been more than 10 minutes.

HTH

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Donnab739 For This Useful Post:

Kazza78  (22-01-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Kazza78 View Post
    Thanks for all the replies everyone. I may try a low dose with each contraction. But it's the nausea a vomiting that I know will distress me.
    Honestly I wouldn't be worried about the nausea right now because you really don't know how the gas is going to effect you. Everyone is different as all the responses prove!

I'm assuming this is your first labour (sorry if not), chances are once the contractions really hit you will want some pain relief! Being on the gas is a much safer option than some other pain relief methods.

If you get the chance to have a belly monitor put on you, use it to your advantage. The trick is to start sucking in gas just before the contraction begins. Big deep breaths. That way it starts working & takes effect earlier. If you wait until you feel the contraction or think you need it, its too late. Timing is everything.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Snooze For This Useful Post:

Kazza78  (22-01-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Funnels View Post
    It also made me really drunk like loopy. I asked the midwives to come in the birth pool with me to have naked cuddle. :-)
    Hehehe that made me giggle

7. The Following User Says Thank You to wannawannabe For This Useful Post:

Funnels  (22-01-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    I had the gas with my first and I felt drunk - apparently I was hilarious. The anaesthetist who came to give me my epidural had an Irish accent and I was hugging him and telling him what a beautiful, kind man he was. How embarrassing!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I hated it. So much, made me feel like I was having a panic attack, and since I suffer from them, it's really not what I needed while labouring!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Loved it! All 3 times.
    helped take the edge off the pain, was a distraction from the pain as well....and I got a little high lol which isn't so bad when you are in pain.
    Made my last labour a good one, was able to still joke around until pushing stage.
    During contractions, no jokes obviously but between it helped, relaxed me. (Wasn't sucking on gas then but still had the effects.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I used it twice, as it didn't make me feel sick or anything. First time around, I went a bit crazy on it tho, as I was adamant I wasn't having an epi and I was in a lot of pain. I wasn't using it properly and I did get off my face a bit (I had an epi in the end! Best decision ever). Second time around I just used it when I was having contractions and it was great. I like it as it really calmed me down and gave the whole thing a more chilled out vibe. I also got the giggles and so did the midwives, so everyone was in a good mood!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I used it and I spewed once. I didn't want to use it anymore but then the next contraction hit and I found myself sucking hard on it again. The dizziness and nausea went away after that. I have a huge phobia of spewing and would do anything to avoid it but in labour I was pretty fine with it. I didn't panic or feel anxious at all. The pain took over instead.

Sent from my iPad using Bub Hub app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Fiery View Post
    I used it and I spewed once. I didn't want to use it anymore but then the next contraction hit and I found myself sucking hard on it again. The dizziness and nausea went away after that. I have a huge phobia of spewing and would do anything to avoid it but in labour I was pretty fine with it. I didn't panic or feel anxious at all. The pain took over instead.

Sent from my iPad using Bub Hub app
    You're stronger than me I want to be able to not panic and suck down the gas as much as they would let me lol