+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Overseas travel tips! (~20 weeks)

I'm due to fly out from Sydney to California this Friday for work. I only confirmed it today since I wanted to wait until after my morph scan, and make sure everything is acceptably low risk.
    And thankfully it is so now I have 2 days to pack and plan everything!
    The big things are sorted at least, like itinerary and insurance, but I'm sure there are heaps of little things that I haven't thought of yet.

Does anyone have any advice or suggestions of things to think about or take?
    Can I eat aeroplane food or should I pack heaps of snacks?
    I'll probably need to drink a few litres of water for a 15 hour flight, will the attendants supply me with this much?

I'll be away from 19w3d to 22w5d, and seeing my doctor tomorrow for a final approval and to get a letter to state that I'm fit to travel.

Or any other stories of happy travelling while pregnant would also be great, this has only just started to sink in so I'm getting a bit nervous!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't think you need to drink ''too much'' water. you'll find yourself going to the toilet every 5 mins... but just hydrate regularly. they have enough water. wear compression socks and bring snacks. ask for your food to be ''hot''.. bring a good book to read too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Just stay hydrated and walk around. There's usually a fountain in the back and middle of planes where you can fill up water bottles if you don't want to ask for a cup to constantly be filled. Bring snacks and just ask for food to be hot.

Compression tights can get really hot so you'll probably end up taking them off--I did. But I was getting up so frequently for the bathroom that it didn't matter.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I travelled from the UK to Australia at around 25 weeks and I just made sure I had a bottle of water and I wore compression stockings at the midwife's suggestion (which I hated). I spent most of the trip sleeping. I just ate the normal plane food, although I did have a few prepackaged fruit bars and jelly babies with me.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Great, thanks for your replies!
    I thought I might be getting up so often to pee that keeping active shouldn't be a problem. And yes I booked an aisle seat!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I just got back from a work trip to Singapore. I asked for an aisle seat (had to say I was pregnant on the way back as the plane was full they didn't initially want to move me). I ate the normal plane food but only the hot part, I didn't have the salad or dessert. Lots of water and walking around (which happened naturally as I was up every 5 min to pee) :-)
    I wore compression socks but still got swollen ankles on the way back (but probably not as bad)
    You'll be fine, enjoy your trip and enjoy the time to yourself, being able to watch movies etc :-) I kept looking at the families with little ones and imagining me in the future :-)

Sent from my GT-I9100 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Three Little Birds is offline Formerly Squiggsmom - I'll make it to the moon if I have to crawl.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I traveled to the States and was 26-29 weeks pregnant in October. The food is fine to eat, the hot food is always way to hot to eat right away anyway. and the flight attendants walk around with water about every 30 min to an hour. They walk around with snacks too. I packed some in case I didn't like what they had to offer snack wise. My Ob said compression socks were a must as well as regular exercise on the plane. Overall, it was no different than any other OS flight I've made. I made it a rule to do a lap after each movie I watched or nap I took.

Sent from my iPhone using Bub Hub app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Cool, thanks again
    I've never actually been on a flight longer than 4 hours so the whole thing will be new for me, not just the pregnant part!
    I'm off in the morning, all packed and all I have left to do is go and give DP lots of hugs!