+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    We have a sun conure, he was attacked by his parents in the nest so one of his wings never grew properly. It's like he is permanently clipped, he can't fly. Because of this we have to be a bit careful of him with our cats, and we haven't socialized him as well as we should (another of my husband telling me he would do something then getting slack). He can be very affectionate, will kiss me on the lip very gently and will snuggle into your shoulder, but he also has a very strong beak and if he bites (usually if we are trying to put him away and he doesn't want to go) it hurts. He also is super noisy, you can't yell in our house as he just starts screaming and you have no hope of hearing the other person. I'm currently at the opposite end of the house and he sounds like he is right next to me. He is a total little character, had a soft toy he adored for some time until he discovered he could pull the stuffing out, eventually destroys every toy that we give him, can open most of the clips you use to attach toys so need to be careful what cage you get, loves his fresh fruit, sprouting seeds when dh isn't being lazy.

We also have two cockatiels - they haven't been hand reared but one of them will sit with dh and is very friendly. They like to whistle and one attempts to talk. In an aviary outside we have a king parrot, a princess parrot, a superb parrot and a kakariki with king quail running in the bottom as well as a pale headed rosella in a separate cage. A kakariki would make a great hand reared inside pet too, he is a little clown of a bird.

We're considering getting one of my in laws Indian ring necks to add in the aviary, they have almost the whole range of colours but unfortunately their violet who was kept inside mostly and they were trying to train escaped from his day cage a few weeks back and hasn't been seen since. They don't seem as exciting as our other birds but I haven't had much to do with them.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We got a hand raised baby budgie. He may be smaller than the other birds, but he has a huge personality. He is very affectionate, he has learnt to talk probably 300+ words. Budgie mess is easy to keep clean. We have a large flight cage for him, so he can still fly when he is in his cage. We always keep an eye on him when he and my 2 year old are together, but they love each other and he is a good pet around kids. His chirping can be loud at times, but it's no different to the other birds that you can hear chirping outside, plus he's quiet at night. We've always lived in a block of units and we've never had a complaint. If you have a single bird, you have to interact with them a lot, otherwise they get bored, lonely and destructive. YouTube has lots of cute budgie videos, don't underestimate them.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We've got a Sulphur Crested cockatoo who swears like a sailor and destroys everything! He's hard work but he does make me laugh especially when he yells at my dogs when they bark or howl. I'm not a huge fan of birds but he belongs to my DH - I don't do anything to care for him

Me + DH = DS1 (6), DS2 (2) and #3 due September 8th

Thanks
    Reviews
    First word that comes to mind when thinking about sun conures: Noisy!

I'll always have a soft spot for the good old cockatiels. Kakarikis are awesome too - they seem to have so much personality, even non-tame ones often seem funny and curious and friendly.

Lorikeets are full of personality (and noise) but be weary of any birds that require wet food mix as their poos are very loose and squirty!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I'm not a bird person but we did have a cockatiel that I rescued from being attacked. I was surprised we he just walked up my arm! After failing to find his owner we kept him and he was great.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Ohh rethinking now. I don't want a noisy noisy noisy one lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    We had a cockateil.

She was beautiful. So much fun.

We had a 2 story house and on sleep ins she would WALK the length of the house, up the steps, and then sit on the landing and call for us to wake up.

The only thing, she was very messy.

But the love and laughter she brought was amazing

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by IndigoJ View Post
    Ohh rethinking now. I don't want a noisy noisy noisy one lol
    You may want to rethink the conure then.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 29/5/15Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    I have a hand raised rainbow lorikeet. He's great and a wonderful talker. He can be pretty loud when he thinks I need to get out of bed in the morning though and when I'm in the kitchen cooking.