+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
    Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    I was reading recently that the egg corp wants to increase free range stocking density from 10,000 hens per hectare to 20,000 hens!!! Organic at least has a max of 1500 per hectare so a lot better
    Oh I thought the 20,000 per hectare attempts were rejected? I hope so Even 10,000 is far too many. In QLD, the free-range stocking density was lifted from 1,500 to 10,000 in July last year, so eggs can be classes as free-range when they have 10,000 chickens per hectare.

I think certified organic is a good way to go for a few different reasons - apart from low stocking density, there are also no antibiotics administered, no beak trimming, no pesticides in their food, natural living conditions etc.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Witwicky For This Useful Post:

Elijahs Mum  (21-01-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    With some things, like toothpaste and shampoo. But with every day items, no, I love homebrand/black and gold/ coles own brand stuff. I love getting bargains, makes me feel really happy...doesn't take much

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lincolns mummy View Post
    I think I am brand snob with everything!
    Me too! I pretty much buy the same brands/ products all the time, although I do stock up when they're on special.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    With certain items I am. When I find a product/brand that I really like I tend to stick with it, to the exclusion of all others. Other things I shop around and change between brands. I buy a mix of cheaper and more pricey brands, dependant on the item in question. Can't bothered listing them all individually.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hmm, I don't really get it. I'm not a snob, I just buy the products I like/know are good quality etc.
    I don't really see why I would just start randomly selecting other brands if I like a particular one?
    If something is on sale, and I'm not particularly invested in it, like, I dunno, shredded tasty cheese, I'll get the cheap one. But in general if I like kraft peanut butter, im not gonna randomly get a different brand just for the hell of it.

Am I missing something here??

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Now I want peanut butter on toast
    Last edited by DaenerysT; 21-01-2014 at 18:18.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I wouldn't call myself a brand snob.
    I do have certain things I look for in a product.
    Is it Australian made and owned if possible.
    Is it ethical?
    Quality/organic/free range/local.
    Eg I refuse to buy Coles brand cheese. Coles approached Fonterra foods who make mainland and wanted them to brand their cheese as Coles and sell it to them cheaper! Fonterra refused. Can't remember who makes Coles cheese but on principle I won't buy it. Same as Coles biscuits. Made by griffins a NZ company. Much rather pay a bit more for Arnotts who make in Aus (except for 2 products) and employ thousands of Aussies. Owned by Campbell's but but they made an agreement with the Australian government to keep the production of existing products in Australia and to source local ingredients first.
    Won't buy any Mondelez/Kraft/nabisco/Cadbury biscuits as they are made overseas where the food safety and water quality standards are low and easily bought.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Nope. I stick to certain brands with some groceries but that is because I am coeliac. The non perishables and things that don't have gluten it will usually be Australian first, cheapest second. I get a lot online (Aussie farmers for produce, bulk meat). W do a Costco run every few months for toilet paper/nappies/washing powder etc. I do try to avoid house brands at the major supermarkets because I don't like how they are squeezing out the local producers.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DaenerysT View Post
    Hmm, I don't really get it. I'm not a snob, I just buy the products I like/know are good quality etc.
    I don't really see why I would just start randomly selecting other brands if I like a particular one?
    If something is on sale, and I'm not particularly invested in it, like, I dunno, shredded tasty cheese, I'll get the cheap one. But in general if I like kraft peanut butter, im not gonna randomly get a different brand just for the hell of it.

Am I missing something here??
    There's no much to it. I know some people who will only use a specific brand of washing powder but I'm happy to use a good brand that's on sale without sticking to one only. Was just a fluff thread ... I find it interesting the things we are particular about

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Theboys&me For This Useful Post:

DaenerysT  (21-01-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by One of THOSE mums! View Post
    I wouldn't call myself a brand snob.
    I do have certain things I look for in a product.
    Is it Australian made and owned if possible.
    Is it ethical?
    Quality/organic/free range/local.
    Eg I refuse to buy Coles brand cheese. Coles approached Fonterra foods who make mainland and wanted them to brand their cheese as Coles and sell it to them cheaper! Fonterra refused. Can't remember who makes Coles cheese but on principle I won't buy it. Same as Coles biscuits. Made by griffins a NZ company. Much rather pay a bit more for Arnotts who make in Aus (except for 2 products) and employ thousands of Aussies. Owned by Campbell's but but they made an agreement with the Australian government to keep the production of existing products in Australia and to source local ingredients first.
    Won't buy any Mondelez/Kraft/nabisco/Cadbury biscuits as they are made overseas where the food safety and water quality standards are low and easily bought.
    I thought Bega made Coles cheese?