+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Laralee11 View Post
    Stupidly expensive Parmesan (can't remember name)

Plenty of other stuff like sugar, flour, tinned veg and fruit I will buy home brands
    Parmigiano-Reggiano - it's $49 a kilo but so worth it - my DS would eat it every day if I let him!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I'm not really. Exceptions being for cola, I buy Coca Cola, Cadbury/Lindt chocolate including cooking chocolate and toilet paper I won't buy homebrand (usually buy sorbent/Kleenex slab from Costco). There are other things but I can't remember at the moment

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    Parmigiano-Reggiano - it's $49 a kilo but so worth it - my DS would eat it every day if I let him!

Oh yes, love this Parmesan!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Mm reason through this list I've remembered a couple more like:

Twinings for tea
    Feminine hygiene products - cottons I think it is

Some other stuff that I don't choose homebrand for (but otherwise don't have a preference are): baked beans, spaghetti, olive oil, washing powder, dish washing tablets, shampoo, toothpaste

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I actually feel a little embarrassed to admit that my shopping cart is filled with things I like the taste of or that are economical and has very little to do with being ethical or any sort of though into consumerism or big companies stomping in the little guys. :/

Although I do buy free range eggs... But they are the woolies select brand.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Theboys&me For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Sunshine  (22-01-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014
    Chocolate....strictly cadbury or m&m's - never any other type.
    Butter - only buy the ButterSoft from NZ.

Im not really that fussy otherwise

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FearlessLeader View Post
    I refuse to use homebrand anything from Woolies or Coles because it makes my blood boil how they influence and dominate the market.
    I too hate the monopoly and dictatorial tactics of the "Big 2". I worked in fast moving consumer goods and the things you have to do to get (or keep) your products on the shelves are ridiculous at times. Stuff like releasing finished goods that hadn't even had QC testing completed because the store was screaming for it and would de-list the product if it didn't arrive within hours. Don't get me started on 'shelf ready packaging'... still have nightmares about reconfiguring the production lines to make that happen!

Sadly boycotting the generic brands won't have any effect. Shelf space is prime real estate and they'll delete a line that's slow moving whether its their brand or someone else's. They get their mark-up regardless so it doesn't matter whether they sell the generic or name-brand product right beside it. Best is to shop elsewhere altogether, but that's not always possible or convenient.

Sorry to digress. Back on topic!

Toilet paper- Quilton
    Paper towels- Handee Ultra
    Cheese slices- Bega Thick & Tasty
    Mouthwash- Listerine
    Hazelnut spread- Nutella
    Razors- Gillette/Venus

I used to be a brand snob on so many other things, but having worked in the industry and seen how generics are made- I'm happy to buy Aldi or Homebrand products, especially when they are Australian made. No-one is willing to invest in the R&D to specifically formulate a generic product, otherwise this would drive the price up. They are generally tried & tested formulas that have been used for a name brand, but with a slight modification eg. different fragrance or flavour. Though sometimes thay are flat out identical and the only change is the packet/container it goes into.

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    If I can't get eggs from my sister, I buy free range eggs with a low stocking density from the market. I also prefer locally sourced fruit and veg.

Recycled, non-fragranced and non re-bleached toilet paper & paper towel (i.e.: Naturale brand).

Aware washing powder

Ecostore soap

AIM toothpaste instead of Colgate...the Colgate-Palmolive company test their products on animals.

There are lots...I try to buy ethically where I can. I can't always, but try where possible.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Witwicky View Post
    If I can't get eggs from my sister, I buy free range eggs with a low stocking density from the market. .
    I was reading recently that the egg corp wants to increase free range stocking density from 10,000 hens per hectare to 20,000 hens!!! Organic at least has a max of 1500 per hectare so a lot better

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Washing powder - Surf
    Toothpaste - Colgate whitening advanced
    Toothbrush - Colgate
    Deodorant - Dove
    Dishwashing detergent - Earth Choice
    Tea - Tetley extra strong
    Milk - kiewa
    Bleach - White King
    Everything else cleaning - Pine O Clean

Sent from my GT-I9305T using The Bub Hub mobile app
    Last edited by zoz; 22-01-2014 at 12:04.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast