+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by btmac View Post
    Thanks very much for that information it is appreciated. I think what I, and many other parents find frustrating is the lack of information around on when the ISOFIX seats will be available.

It would be great if the manufacturers would provide regular updates either on their websites or Facebook pages etc... Even if those updates are just the info you have provided above.
    There's a Facebook page full of a bunch of crazy women which is always full of car seat discussion! there's heaps of advice, help, obsessions, etc. Tom pops in too, amongst other reps from other brands.

Child restraints. Is your child restrained correctly?
    is the page, it's awesome

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to callmedragon22 For This Useful Post:

btmacxxx  (21-01-2014),Itaricebubble  (22-01-2014),tomhubbard  (21-01-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    We imported our isofix from the UK as it was the only one with a top tether. It cost about $700. It is a britax xtensafix.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MandaPants View Post
    We imported our isofix from the UK as it was the only one with a top tether. It cost about $700. It is a britax xtensafix.
    Even though it has a top tether it is not legal to use in Australia - even when the new standards come in. It must meet the Aus standards to be legal.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to amyd For This Useful Post:

ertgirl  (22-01-2014),mummytomy2boysxxx  (21-01-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by MandaPants View Post
    Which is still illegal... Car seats need more than just a top tether to comply with the Australian standards.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to callmedragon22 For This Useful Post:

ertgirl  (22-01-2014),mummytomy2boysxxx  (21-01-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    Quote Originally Posted by tomhubbard View Post
    Hey guys! Tom Hubbard of InfaSecure here!

Just thought I'd pop my head it to try and help clarify the current situation a little

The 2013 Australian Standard was published in June of last year. It has not yet been mandated. The ACCC are currently in consultation as to which clauses within the Standard are to be mandated. They're considering removing the mandatory requirement for items that do not have a direct impact on the survivability of the child in an accident (for items that have never been attributed to the death or serious injury of a child - material toxicity requirements, etc).

The 2013 Standard will be a mandatory standard, though which parts will be mandatory is what is currently being decided. Until it is mandated, manufacturers (like us) are unable to legally sell any seat certified to the 2013 Standard. As such, as of right now, the current Standard remains the 2010 Australian Standard, which has no provision for ISOFix.

The ACCC has extended the consultation period to the 30th of January, and I'd expect them to take 6 to 8 weeks to collate and review the responses at the very least. While we're completely in the dark as to when the 2013 Standard will be mandated, we're guessing that it will be in the second quarter of this year.

So while it's true that we could develop, build and certify an ISOFix child restraint, we would be unable to legally sell it in Australia until 2013 is mandated (at which point the current mandatory 2010 Standard would sunset).

I'm happy to answer any specific questions any one has on any of this stuff

edit: If you'd rather chat in private, you can email me direct - tom.h@infa.com.au
    Hi Tom, thanks for dropping in. I have to admit I know nothing about child restraints per say, but I know a bit about Australian Standards and legislation. The current Australian Standard is the 2013 one. The 2010 has been superseded. If you go to the Standards Australia website you will find only the 2013.

From what I can gather if I could make my own ISOFIX child restraint that met AS/NZS 1754 it would be completely legal to put in my car right now. Isn't the mandatory issue about whether you would then only be able to use ISOFIX?

I'm still confused about what the ACCC is consulting on and what becomes mandatory. The current standard is the 2013 one and the current (Queensland) road rules refer to it.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DJ Nette For This Useful Post:

NancyBlackett  (22-01-2014),tomhubbard  (21-01-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    We are happy to use it as it is, with the lower isofix connection and the top tether. The seat will also last until DD is no longer required to be in a car seat.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi DJ Nette!

You're technically right. It's super confusing, and we've never had to deal with this sort of thing before, but currently, the 2010 Standard is the only Standard we can certify to if we want to sell the child restraint. While the 2013 Standard has been published, which technically makes it the current Standard, until it's mandated, it's current only in name, not in practice.

I guess you could personally build a child restraint to the 2013 Standard, have it certified, and then use it (and never sell it or any other production), however I don't think that would be very cost effective

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tomhubbard For This Useful Post:

callmedragon22  (21-01-2014),Itaricebubble  (22-01-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    There's a difference between not being cost effective and not being legal though.

It would be a lot less frustrating if manufacturers would just say 'we're holding off until the Minister incorporates the amendment into the compulsory standard just in case there are some changes made that would affect the compliance of seats made according to the exact specifications in the new 1754' rather than saying it would be 'illegal' when that isn't the case.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to NancyBlackett For This Useful Post:

DJ Nette  (22-01-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Following this topic. I have been trying to keep up with the developments of isofix in Australia for the last few years. Although it's slow, at least there is finally progress.

MrJones&Me is offline sometimes as useless as the 'ueue' in queue
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by callmedragon22 View Post
    There's a Facebook page full of a bunch of crazy women which is always full of car seat discussion!

Child restraints. Is your child restrained correctly?
    is the page, it's awesome
    I've been following this discussion out of curiosity, hopefully by the time this bub grows out of their capsule I'll get an isofix... But I need to say something here about this "awesome" fb page.

If you need advice, it's great! Go in, post your question.. thank everyone, then leave. I've never ever seen b*tchier women in my life. One woman reported her "friend" to the cops for something as pathetic as FF at 5.5m (can't remember but I knew it was ridiculous). Instead of doing the RIGHT thing and talking to her friend and advising her what she was doing was illegal, she went straight to the cops. And was extremely highly commended for it. It made me sick reading that story.

So if you want up to date advice, it's great - just be prepared to be judged a little on the way. (ESPECIALLY if you FF before 2 years! Tut tut you bad mother!)

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MrJones&Me For This Useful Post:

BlackDiamond  (22-01-2014),ertgirl  (23-01-2014)