+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    The ACCC hasn't mandated the 2013 standards yet, so ISOFIX seats are not available on the market yet. It is illegal to import seats from overseas. Atm it's looking at end of 2014 to early 2015.

ISOFIX seats will only be capsules and 0-4 seats and will still have a top tether, and probably be around the $800 mark.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by NancyBlackett View Post
    What do you mean by mandated?

SA has amended their standard to allow for isofix (as DJ Nette said it includes the top tether strap as well as the isofix point). As far as I am aware that is all that is needed for manufacturers to go ahead and make seats that comply.

http://www.standards.org.au/Analytic...01754%20MR.pdf
    They are being designed, made and tested but they cannot be sold until the ACCC has mandated the new standards. Submissions for changes to the standard only closed a few weeks ago.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    The 2013 amendment hasn't been mandated yet, but as DJ Nette said, the Standard referred to in all the legislation relating to car restraints is AS/NZS 1754. That includes the 2013 amendment even though it remains a voluntary rather than mandated change.

Manufacturers can make seats that comply with it, but they don't have to.

I imagine one of the reasons manufacturers have held off manufacturing and selling seats that comply with the 2013 standard is because there was some suggestion the Government step back and stop mandating car restraint standards at all. Which would change the game entirely.

Consumers, of course, are hamstrung waiting.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    Ok, this is my understanding of it all (using Queensland legislation as the example, but I assume it's the same elsewhere).

The current Australian Standard AS/NZS 1754 was published in mid 2013 and allows the use of ISOFIX with a top tether strap. It also allows other types of child restraints (like the one you are probably using right now). Standards are not mandatory unless they are codified in legislation.

The current legislation in Queensland is the Transport Operations (Road Use Management - Road Rules) Regulation 2009 This regulation requires that any child restraint meet AS/NZS1754.

Provided your child restraint meets the current standard then you can use it in your car.

Therefore if you have an ISOFIX restraint with a top tether strap, which meets the requirements of the standard it would be completely legally in Queensland.

However since you can't actually purchase a restraint that has ISOFIX and a top tether strap in Australia then all of the above is completely irrelevant.

I don't understand peoples comment about things being mandated. Could you please clarify what you mean by this.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to DJ Nette For This Useful Post:

Tamtam  (21-01-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Essentially the standards themselves are 'voluntary' unless the Minister has issued a notice making them mandatory. So in 2011 the Minister at the time made the 2010 amendment to the standard mandatory.

Unless a standard has been made mandatory under the ACL manufacturers and suppliers don't *have* to comply.

As you've pointed out though, in Australia all States and Territories reference AS/NZS 1754 in their legislation about car restraints so even if the standard remained voluntary under the ACL manufacturers and suppliers have to comply otherwise the seats won't be legal under the State/Territory legislation.

The difference being if it remains voluntary then consumers/the ACCC won't have recourse under the ACL for seats that don't comply. If it is made mandatory then manufacturers/suppliers can be liable under the ACL.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by DJ Nette View Post
    Ok, this is my understanding of it all (using Queensland legislation as the example, but I assume it's the same elsewhere).

The current Australian Standard AS/NZS 1754 was published in mid 2013 and allows the use of ISOFIX with a top tether strap. It also allows other types of child restraints (like the one you are probably using right now). Standards are not mandatory unless they are codified in legislation.

The current legislation in Queensland is the Transport Operations (Road Use Management - Road Rules) Regulation 2009 This regulation requires that any child restraint meet AS/NZS1754.

Provided your child restraint meets the current standard then you can use it in your car.

Therefore if you have an ISOFIX restraint with a top tether strap, which meets the requirements of the standard it would be completely legally in Queensland.

However since you can't actually purchase a restraint that has ISOFIX and a top tether strap in Australia then all of the above is completely irrelevant.

I don't understand peoples comment about things being mandated. Could you please clarify what you mean by this.
    They have not been mandated yet meaning it's not set in stone. The ACCC has to review and approve the new changes to the standard. Submissions for changes to the draft only closed a week ago, at this point in time the 2013 child restraint standards (including ISOFIX, Type G seats, etc) is simply a draft/proposal.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to callmedragon22 For This Useful Post:

Itaricebubble  (22-01-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by callmedragon22 View Post
    They have not been mandated yet meaning it's not set in stone. The ACCC has to review and approve the new changes to the standard. Submissions for changes to the draft only closed a week ago, at this point in time the 2013 child restraint standards (including ISOFIX, Type G seats, etc) is simply a draft/proposal.
    No it's not a draft. Have a look at the Standards Australia site. It's a published Standard.

The ACCC doesn't *have* to approve anything. What the ACCC is doing is reviewing the amendment to the Standard to see whether it recommends the Minister makes the Standard compulsory.

Eta: I think people are confusing two issues here. The first is that AS/NZS 1754/2013 makes it legal to sell/ use isofix seats with a top tether strap.

The second issue is whether such a seat becomes one of the mandatory types of seats sold in Australia.
    Last edited by NancyBlackett; 21-01-2014 at 19:53.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by btmac View Post
    Sigh what it means is it will he quite some time before we can get an isofix seat in Australia.
    That it does.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to NancyBlackett For This Useful Post:

btmacxxx  (21-01-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hey guys! Tom Hubbard of InfaSecure here!

Just thought I'd pop my head it to try and help clarify the current situation a little

The 2013 Australian Standard was published in June of last year. It has not yet been mandated. The ACCC are currently in consultation as to which clauses within the Standard are to be mandated. They're considering removing the mandatory requirement for items that do not have a direct impact on the survivability of the child in an accident (for items that have never been attributed to the death or serious injury of a child - material toxicity requirements, etc).

The 2013 Standard will be a mandatory standard, though which parts will be mandatory is what is currently being decided. Until it is mandated, manufacturers (like us) are unable to legally sell any seat certified to the 2013 Standard. As such, as of right now, the current Standard remains the 2010 Australian Standard, which has no provision for ISOFix.

The ACCC has extended the consultation period to the 30th of January, and I'd expect them to take 6 to 8 weeks to collate and review the responses at the very least. While we're completely in the dark as to when the 2013 Standard will be mandated, we're guessing that it will be in the second quarter of this year.

So while it's true that we could develop, build and certify an ISOFix child restraint, we would be unable to legally sell it in Australia until 2013 is mandated (at which point the current mandatory 2010 Standard would sunset).

I'm happy to answer any specific questions any one has on any of this stuff

edit: If you'd rather chat in private, you can email me direct - tom.h@infa.com.au
    Last edited by tomhubbard; 21-01-2014 at 20:27.

13. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to tomhubbard For This Useful Post:

btmacxxx  (21-01-2014),callmedragon22  (21-01-2014),Itaricebubble  (22-01-2014),mummytomy2boysxxx  (21-01-2014),Stretched  (21-01-2014),Tamtam  (21-01-2014),WiseOldOwl  (21-01-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    No problem! And that's a good idea - it just so happens that I run the InfaSecure Facebook page, so I'll find some room in the post schedule to include an update or two each month

15. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to tomhubbard For This Useful Post:

btmacxxx  (21-01-2014),IndigoJ  (21-01-2014),Itaricebubble  (22-01-2014),mummytomy2boysxxx  (21-01-2014),WiseOldOwl  (21-01-2014)