+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Anger management

If you knew a mum who admitted she had a short temper and needed help with anger management, who do you recommend they seek advice from?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    A psychologist?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Probably a doctor as a first call, just to determine depression or hormonal/chemical imbalance isn't contributing to the issue. If that's all clear maybe a program like PPP to learn behaviour management techniques and/or a counsellor to help find where the anger is coming from, and if there's an unresolved issue or trauma from her past she needs to work through.

Age 20, engaged, mummy to 3yo DS and TTC his sibling! Living life backwards

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    GP to rule out medical issues and get a mental health plan.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks so far. I've passed the PPP website onto her as a starting point. I don't think she has mental issues though. Seems pretty 'normal ' and stable. Mainly short tempered with her kids.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 2BlueBirds View Post
    Thanks so far. I've passed the PPP website onto her as a starting point. I don't think she has mental issues though. Seems pretty 'normal ' and stable. Mainly short tempered with her kids.
    A psychologist should be helpful at suggesting strategies to help with this. A mental health plan makes this process much cheaper, even if she doesn't have huge mental health issues.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes - and to get a mental health plan, all she needs to do is go to is go to the GP who will suggest a psychologist (or group of), then make the appointment with the psychologist and return to the GP for a referral (which is the mental health plan). You get either 6 or 10 sessions bulk billed, I believe.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    What about a women's clinic? The one we have in town addresses all issues for mums surrounding post partum and early childhood. They have a couple of psychologists and counsellors and I'd say this is such a common issue they probably have classes etc as well as the counselling. They'd at least know where to refer her I'd say.

Or Brighter Futures or some other similar organisation run parenting programs addressing a range of issues....

Our local Anglicare does both parenting programs and anger management programs. Also could google 'Positive Lifestyles Program' see if there are any places running it local to her?

Hth