+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    My DH was taking Zoloft last year which he found helped with the Anxiety however is made him feel flat at times.

He certainly didn't change regarding him personality etc..

Zoloft would have different effects on different people.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    DH was on Zoloft last year too. He was a million times better on it- his normal self instead of what he had turned into. Some AD's don't work so well for some people and they need a change in meds though. I'd get him back to the dr for a follow up on his progress.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Yes I had a bf who started taking it for anxiety he had with his job. It completely changed his personality he was flat and blank all the time and although it helped with the anxiety, he was really apathetic towards everything. Was like it took him away.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I agree with what others have written. I went on Zoloft for anxiety and depression a few years ago, and it made me feel zoned out and well, I felt nothing more than anything. So, instead of feeling down, I felt like I had no emotion, which is not what AD's are meant to do. It was my first trial on AD's and I've been on a few different ones since then and I found one that worked well for me for the past 2 years.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We had a really long chat and every time I mentioned talking to someone or coming off the drugs he would get angry and shut down. We've been having a few relationship problems this past two weeks coz I found out he lied about a calling a girl late at night and when away in the city for a work course she travelled down and met up with him for a meal and he didn't tell me to keep the peace. We were on the verge of splitting and it was hard coz I knew he normally wouldn't do this. During our talk there was a few things he said that made me think he may have depression. He has been home for a few days and lays in bed all day saying he is exhausted and so tired for example. During our talk he said sometimes I just think if I died all the people I've hurt in the past would just get a sense of relief which made me snap and get angry coz who the eff cares about them when he has two kids and me!!! I did some research on dealing with someone who is in denial of depression and spent all day afterwards telling him how great he has done at providing for our family and that I thought he was so strong to be able to leave us for weeks at a time to do what's best for us and told him I'd be here supporting him by his side forever and I'd never judge and then the next morning I said I was worried and did he think he has depression and he got really mad and I explained that it was nothing to be ashamed or embarrassed about and it usually went hand in hand with anxiety and then he burst into tears and sobbed for about 20 minutes but still refuses to seek help or talk to anyone. I gave him the beyond blue number and said it was someone he could speak to anonymously and he refused. Since this he has sorta gone back to himself and is talking to me properly but idk how to convince him to speak to a professional

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm sorry your DH is having a hard time. My DH suffered from depression/anxiety last year and I picked up on it before he did. We had the conversation and I booked an appointment with our GP a few days later, after he just refused to get out of bed and was a mess. He wouldn't book the appointment himself and as soon as that happened I didn't give him an option to see the dr, I just told him to get up and get in the car, he was going. Your situation sounds very similar to mine (minus the kids) - even down to the girl (he had a close friend who he kept lying to me about - long story).

I went along with him to the appointment but he went into the dr alone initially. I was then called in by the GP to confirm the diagnosis and see what our plan of action was.

Give him as much support as you can and try and go with him to the appointments for moral support, even if you don't go into the room with him. My DH went on Zoloft and had 10 appointments with the psychologist under the mental health care scheme (reduced fees for psychologist, which you can get from your GP). It took a few weeks for the meds to kick in, and then around 4 months of appointments and several months of meds to get him back on track. He still struggles with anxiety at times but he has ways to cope better now.

This is going to be a very trying time for you until he gets back onto his feet, and it could take a while. It is very difficult for men to admit they aren't coping, especially when they have a family to look after, however its important that you give him as much support as you can but without smothering him iykwim. Make sure you also look after yourself, it can be a stressful and difficult time for you while he gets treatment. Perhaps see the GP yourself as well, so you can have a chat about what you can do to help.

Sorry this is happening, but there is stacks of support out there. He will get better once he is getting the right treatment.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by mummabear90 View Post
    Hi ladies, Just a question for anyone with experience of the anxiety treatment drug zoloft. My partner was prescribed Zoloft to help with his anxiety issues in September, so about 5 months of use roughly. Within this time his personality has changed so drastically, the main change being he doesn't care about anything anymore, like completely apathetic and couldn't give a **** about anyone but himself. Basically my question is, has anyone else ha a partner or themselves use this drug and once off it did they return to the person they once were?
    Zoloft is a horrible depression drug and is banned in many countries for its personality changing traits I've seen close family in this drug it changed them instantly and I've been on it myself I couldn't get off it fast enough 6 months was long enough!

Sent from my iPhone using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    If your partner works for one of the mining companies then they offer free confidential counseling with physicologists for employees and families. Just contact the HR dept and they can tell you the contact numbers and you can ring them yourself to have a talk about it all too. No information is shared with the workplace. I personally didn't like Zoloft and used another brand for anxiety and I dont think it would have been any use without the help of the phsyc and the dealing with stress techniques such as controlling your breathing. It's no different to having a personal trainer at the gym , the gym person works with you to show you how to work your muscles to get a result and the psych works with you to help you work your mind and body to control the results. Hope it all works out for you both.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by SummerCjxo View Post
    Zoloft is a horrible depression drug and is banned in many countries for its personality changing traits I've seen close family in this drug it changed them instantly and I've been on it myself I couldn't get off it fast enough 6 months was long enough!

I don't know of any country that has banned Zoloft. Some countries have not approved it for pediatric use, which is completely different. Banned is a fairly inflammatory claim. (One mostly found in newspapers, not scientific papers) Please speak to your doctor if you are concerned. A good psychiatrist is an excellent second port if call if you need more information or are concerned.

Gothel is offline Skip the drama, stay with Mama!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SummerCjxo View Post

Please be careful making claims like that. Zoloft doesn't suit everyone but it works very well for many people that need it, while others experience side effects that cause them to change to different meds (myself included). It is among the best tolerated and least-side effects of current antidepressants. I'm sorry that it didn't work for you or your family but statements like that ^^^ Can put people of taking medication that they need.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gothel For This Useful Post:

Mummy Potato  (25-02-2014),RastaMouse  (24-02-2014)