+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Anxiety treatment-Zoloft

Hi ladies, Just a question for anyone with experience of the anxiety treatment drug zoloft. My partner was prescribed Zoloft to help with his anxiety issues in September, so about 5 months of use roughly. Within this time his personality has changed so drastically, the main change being he doesn't care about anything anymore, like completely apathetic and couldn't give a **** about anyone but himself. Basically my question is, has anyone else ha a partner or themselves use this drug and once off it did they return to the person they once were?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    I had the same reaction and no, I never returned to my old self. I haven't taken the drugs in probably 5 months and I'm still very apathetic. I find it hard to care about anything tbh.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    My partner had this issue with paroxetine, just like you described. He did go back to his normal self but it can take time (he says he still thinks he's quicker to anger than he ever was before, and has been off it for years).

Sometimes having the dose too high can cause that disconnectedness.

It took him a few tries on and off over the years to find the particular one that worked best for his anxiety. It can take some persistence, I really hope it works out for you guys.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm not sure of his dosage and he's a fifo worker so I can't see what it is. I don't think he wants to go off it coz he has the confidence to do what he needs to at work now and no longer has the anxiety attacks but to be honest, if it doesn't change I don't want to live like this. We have a 2 year old and an 8 week old so I don't want to walk away without trying but it's so hard! It's like he couldn't care less. How long did it take your partner JCT to be back to himself?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I was on Zoloft, and while it made it difficult for me to experience extreme emotions, that was kind of the point I suppose.

I never became very apathetic though... I just found it very hard to cry or whatever while on my medication.

I only came off my medication after I felt ready, so yes, there was a change, but I wasn't the same as I was BEFORE the meds, because BEFORE the meds, I was a mess.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to SassyMummy For This Useful Post:

Mummy Potato  (25-02-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Is he receiving any psychological treatment as well? Medication is good and all as a crutch for the situation, but learning strategies to deal with situations that trigger anxiety is extremely effective.

Thanks
    Reviews
    No he doesn't want psychological help because he says 'I'm not crazy'
    he went on the anxiety treatment because he was always feeling like he was having heart palpitations and medical problems. These all started when he was heavily into the gym and using steroids his bp was 220/160 at the chemist and the lady told him he should be having a heart attack and get to the hospital and ever since (2 years ago) he has stressed over his health which then got to the point where he wouldn't eat in public coz it was triggering his anxiety and his heart would race.

Thanks
    Reviews
    He's on 50mg Zoloft. We went to the doctors as we do each time he gets home and I asked the doctor about some psychological help to deal with the anxiety and eventually get him off the medication, my DP said he wouldn't see the psychologist as he'd have to put it on future job applications and wouldn't get the job, and if he lied and was to be in an accident while at work we wouldn't receive compensation. The doctor tried to teach him meditation but he didn't want to hear it. The changes are affecting our reltaionship, I want to be supportive and help him deal with the anxiety but I want a healthy relationship and since these changes it hasn't been. I don't know what else to do

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Unless its something important to his job role, he doesn't actually have to tell anyone. I know someone who was training as a pilot and wanted to work for the Air Force but couldn't for previously having been admitted to a psych ward... But he was still allowed to fly commercial planes (it had been years since his hospitalisation).

I have never told any employers that I've been on meds or seen a psych. Surely being on meds is more of a issue than seeing a psych.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to SassyMummy For This Useful Post:

KaraB  (24-02-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by mummabear90 View Post
    I'm not sure of his dosage and he's a fifo worker so I can't see what it is. I don't think he wants to go off it coz he has the confidence to do what he needs to at work now and no longer has the anxiety attacks but to be honest, if it doesn't change I don't want to live like this. We have a 2 year old and an 8 week old so I don't want to walk away without trying but it's so hard! It's like he couldn't care less. How long did it take your partner JCT to be back to himself?
    It took a little while but honestly, it can be hard to tell because they're then adjusting to life without the meds, or new side affects from a new drug.

Living with a mental health problem is hard. But living with and supporting someone with one is hard too and I think partners are often over looked, blamed for things that aren't our fault or guilted into doing what our partner wants/needs. We can end up with problems ourselves trying to be everything for our partners.

You need to have an honest chat to him about the pressure you're under, but to do it in a way that's not laying the blame on him because he can't help it either. Also be prepared that even if things pick up, there'll still be really difficult times. It's important you have someone you can trust to vent to.

But he does need to see a psych or counsellor. It can take time to find the right one, like with medication. I've never heard of having to declare you've sought professional help , unless it's a job where you have to do a psych eval anywhere. Most people have seen someone at some stage in their life, no one would ever get a job! It smells like an excuse to me.