+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    lexim is offline Winner 2013 - Newbie of the Year
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Curious about car seat placement

Today on FB one of those parenting question status's popped up where people send in questions announomosly And people answer (yep recipe for disaster) and a question was something along the lines of they were preparing for a new baby and wanted to know which seat to put the baby seat on. Middle, behind driver or behind passenger.

So many people posted behind passenger side (mainly because when you get bubs out of car that is curbside and also so you can reach over to them whilst driving!!!)
    I was always under the impression that this was the most dangerous seat in the car.
    My dad and brother are both fireman, my sister a paramedic and my mum a volunteer paramedic and they all agree. Majority of the car accidents they have been called to- the person in that seat is almost always injured or worse.

It's to do with the fact a driver will instinctively turn away from a collision therefore causing the passenger side to get the full brunt of the collision.

I'm just curious of other peoples thoughts? I'm having another baby in sept and that will make it three for us do obviously one child has to sit in the "dangerous" seat.

I just always assumed that you choose behind the driver or middle before you chose behind the passenger? Thoughts?

DH, Me and our two boys.
    #3 due 30th Sept

rainbow road is online now look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    We have behind passenger for the following reasons:

1) middle seat doesn't fit the car seat securely
    2) dp can't drive with the car seat behind drivers seat (and she does most of the driving)

I've heard the same as you but it wasn't practical for us to have him in the middle.

I also think getting bub in and out of the drivers side is more difficult. Especially if you have a toddler.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We had our car seat professionally installed and they said that it should go behind the passenger for the reasons you mentioned ( curbside is safer to get baby out ). I didn't know it was considered unsafe at all I thought it was the norm.

Sent from my iPhone using Bub Hub appw

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Giggle For This Useful Post:

SpecialK  (19-01-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Giggle View Post
    We had our car seat professionally installed and they said that it should go behind the passenger for the reasons you mentioned ( curbside is safer to get baby out ). I didn't know it was considered unsafe at all I thought it was the norm.

Yeah I had a 'professional' tell me the same when I was pregnant with ds1 but then I spoke to dad and my sister just casually about it and they both piped up and said No way! Move it to behind driver.
    So for me behind driver was always the norm, it wasn't until I saw that post that I realised it's not. Not sure? I'd like to see a study on it.
    I did see though in an article about how drivers instinctively swerve away and so behind driver is the safest seat in the car which just confirmed what dad had seen in 30 years of car accidents.

DH, Me and our two boys.
    #3 due 30th Sept
    Last edited by lexim; 19-01-2014 at 17:47.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by lexim View Post
    Yeah I had a 'professional' tell me the same when I was pregnant with ds1 but then I spoke to dad and my sister just casually about it and they both piped up and said No way! Move it to behind driver.

DH, Me and our two boys.
    #3 due 30th Sept
    I have heard the theory about drivers instinctively protecting themselves and therefor the passenger side being more dangerous but didn't know if it was true. Not doubting it could be at all just curious if there is evidence supporting this available? Studies etc? I blindly trusted the installed and thought behind passenger was best.

Last edited by Giggle; 19-01-2014 at 17:52.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    My baby is in the middle for no other reason than that was the only position her car seat would fit rear facing with 2 other child restraints in the car.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ambulance installers up here will give you a massive lecture about how it's supposed to be on the left side if you ask for a capsule or seat installed behind the driver....personally, I am almost hit by an idiot on roundabouts...on the left side.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Giggle View Post
    I have heard the theory about drivers instinctively protecting themselves and therefor the passenger side being more dangerous but didn't know if it was true. Not doubting it could be at all just curious if there is evidence supporting this available? Studies etc? I blindly trusted the installed and thought behind passenger was best.

There is a study that provides a risk assessment for each seat - I'm not sure where to find it though but I remember it saying
    Driver being safest
    Middle back being second safest
    Behind driver being third safest
    Behind passenger being second dangerous
    Passenger being most dangerous

DH, Me and our two boys.
    #3 due 30th Sept

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by MyboysMylife View Post
    Ambulance installers up here will give you a massive lecture about how it's supposed to be on the left side if you ask for a capsule or seat installed behind the driver....personally, I am almost hit by an idiot on roundabouts...on the left side.
    I wonder how many accidents they've been to?
    I guess if you where to pull out without looking then your side is going to get hit and therefore behind the driver seat aswell.
    I trust myself more to look before pulling out than my instincts telling me to swerve away.

It happened when a lady pulled out in front of me (she did not even look!!) and instinctively I swerved to miss her. I swerved to the right and therefore the left side if my car was heading towards her.
    Thankfully I didn't hit her or anyone else

DH, Me and our two boys.
    #3 due 30th Sept

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by lexim View Post
    There is a study that provides a risk assessment for each seat - I'm not sure where to find it though but I remember it saying
    Driver being safest
    Middle back being second safest
    Behind driver being third safest
    Behind passenger being second dangerous
    Passenger being most dangerous

DH, Me and our two boys.
    #3 due 30th Sept
    Thanks makes sense. I'm just baffled why a road safety center would insist we install our seats behind the passenger? I remember now requesting behind driver (because logically it made sense) and he talked us out of it saying it would be unsafe to get the baby out from that side.