+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Fifo partners: keeping the peace when they are home

Dp has just started a new job fifo on the gas lines end of 2013. We discussed at length beforehand what it would mean for our life, family and future.

I thought the hardest part would be having him gone but we've actually settled into a really good routine when his gone. His income has allowed me to be a sahm with our 3 yr old dd and I'm actually loving it!

I find when he is home it's really hard to not argue with him! He is so annoying and I say that in the most loving way possible. I miss him when he's away but when his back our little routine flies out the window. I get annoyed at him because he just doesn't get it and he nags me about stuff and trying to parent our spirited dd together is hard because he's missed her so much and babies her and gives in to her.

Honestly I know these are petty concerns but I thought it'd be nice to have a place where we can share our vents, worries and also the good parts about being a partner to a fifo worker!!!

So how do you find your partner being home?? Am I the only one out there who goes a little nuts!

Sent from my GT-I9300T using The Bub Hub mobile app
    Last edited by melimum; 19-01-2014 at 17:26.

Thanks
    Reviews
    No way!! I am exactly the same. My DH was home for 4 weeks over Christmas and I was so ready for him to start his new job. It's so hard getting to a routine with the kids, then he comes home (which is great, don't get me wrong!) then he goes again and I have to settle back into the routine.

We also try and cram so much into his time at home, it would be nice to just relax at home and be a family but I feel like we run around trying to get stuff done, visit his family etc.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Oh same over Xmas we did so many things visiting family, movie world, seaworld, socialize with friends etc.... and there goes my healthy eating because we are never home. We ate only 2 homecooked meals over his 2 week Xmas break. I also try not to nag him to do too much at home like housework etc cos it's his only time off but god a little help would be nice! Glad I'm not alone in my feeling this way!

Sent from my GT-I9300T using The Bub Hub mobile app

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    It's pretty normal, we have the same issue. Hubby has been home since the 3rd and I'm going a little crazy tbh! I just have to take time out occasionally

If you're on facebook there is a WAGS of FIFO Australia page too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    The other thing I find is by the time we kind of find our groove, it's time for him to go back again. But that's FIFO life, I suppose!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Yep!!! As much as I love dh and miss him terribly when he is away, having him home can be a massive PITA! I try to pick my battles though or else we'd be fighting the whole week he is home. He is shocking when it comes to the kids- he is the biggest push over. We had many a fight about it but in the end I put my foot down and said things need to go the way I say because I'm the one who has to deal with the fall out otherwise. After a few talks about it he finally understood and now *tries* to follow how I do things when he isn't here. He still gives in to them a lot but he is trying and that's all I ask of him. One thing fifo has taught us is communication and compromise are ESSENTIAL.

Me + he = dd1 (July 07), dd2 (July 10), dd3 (August 13), dd4 (due may 14)