+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Vanishing twin?

I am 8 weeks pg and had my first scan a few days ago. It turns out that we are expecting identical twins, but one is very small and is likely to be reabsorbed into my body. (I found this fascinating - I'd never heard of that before!)

Anyway, after doing some research, it seems that the prognosis isn't great for the stronger twin. Our twins are sharing a placenta and I'm wondering if that will complicate things. I know that vanishing twins happen all the time and the second one is usually fine for fraternal twins. But I was wondering if anyone has experienced a vanishing identical twin? What happened? I'd love to hear about both positive and negative outcomes - any information would be helpful for me at this point.

TIA

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Subbing because I'm interested in knowing more about it also

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I don't know wether it was identical or fraternal, but I was supposed to be a twin and the other one vanished. Mum likes to say I ate it... Not so funny when you are 18 and she calls you foetus eater in front of your friends :/

Any way, wishing you all the best for the stronger twin. Crossing my fingers for you!

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CakeyMumma For This Useful Post:

Cdro  (19-01-2014),SpecialK  (19-01-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    Mine was fraternal. It was dd3 twin.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to LoveLivesHere For This Useful Post:

Cdro  (19-01-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by CakeyMumma View Post
    I don't know wether it was identical or fraternal, but I was supposed to be a twin and the other one vanished. Mum likes to say I ate it... Not so funny when you are 18 and she calls you foetus eater in front of your friends :/

Any way, wishing you all the best for the stronger twin. Crossing my fingers for you!
    Hehe, love this. If the stronger twin makes it, I know what I'll be telling it!

Thanks ladies for the replies. I really feel like I'm in limbo at the moment so appreciate the information and support.

finallyready is offline Lead me not into temptation... I can find it all by myself!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I am currently 25wks with the twin that I have left. I found out at my 12wk scan that I had miscarried the other twin (fraternal) at about 8 wks. I had no bleeding and no indication that I was carrying two other than slightly more nausea than I had with DS.

i really struggled with the knowledge that I had lost a baby and yet was still pregnant.

At my 20wk morph scan there was no sign of the other amniotic sack and the sonographer couldn't even tell that there had been a second baby present. My body had totally absorbed all of the cells. My remaining baby is perfectly healthy, strong and growing at a normal pace.

The only thing that my GP did find out, once the NT results came in, was that the results of the test for DS may be slightly out due to the second pregnancy. I was, however, given a very good prognosis regarding this when my 20wk scan showed none of the usual markers.

good luck with the rest of your pregnancy. I hope that your bubba remains strong and decides to stick around to meet you all!

Word of advice... Don't read "The Dark Half" by Stephen King...