+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks KW123 😊...

I don't want to start an argument at all. Like said above, the $7.500 child care rebate will help ANYONE regardless of their financial situation.

I'll most likely have to do whatever studying I do in the evenings as I still have my 18 month old with me full time during the day. I just wanted to know if I was eligible for the rebate if I studied something online.

Anyway, I'll give Centerlink a call to get more clarity on online courses.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I studied online, both uni and tafe.

I advised Centrelink via online services ('update your work/study details' or something like that?) and started receiving CCR straight away.

Tafe fees vary but if you're doing a diploma or higher I think you can use FEE-HELP and defer your fees.

Maybe have a look at the OTEN website and see if there's any courses that interest you? Many of them can be started straight away.

You can also use HECS-HELP /FEE-HELP to defer uni fees. The my university website is good if you are looking for a specific course because you can filter it to who distance and online courses only.

I'd also just double-check if your son's preschool is an 'approved care' facility, not registered care. When my kids went to a Pre-school the preschool only operated 9-3 so it was classified as 'Registered care', not 'approved care' so unlike long daycare it didn't qualify for CCR or CCB.

Good luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for the info Sky1 😊, much appreciated! I'm a qualified architectural technologist but qualified in another country so was thinking of studying something in my original field or maybe something to further my hobby (photography). Luckily my DS1 daycare is a registered long daycare centre so it qualifies for CCB/CCR.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Following. This is one if my jobs to do tomorrow as I'd be interested to see if my day care fees go down a little if I did study online

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Wouldn't online study cost a few thousand at least though? Plus textbooks, etc? And do you have the time to dedicate to study?

I'm not sure if just enrolling but not doing the work/completing makes you eligible? Surely CL would be on to that.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    Quote Originally Posted by kw123 View Post
    Wouldn't online study cost a few thousand at least though? Plus textbooks, etc? And do you have the time to dedicate to study?

I'm not sure if just enrolling but not doing the work/completing makes you eligible? Surely CL would be on to that.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

If you are studying on a TAFE level most certificates are in the hundreds. A diploma can vary from a bit over $1000 way up to $15k (maybe even more). The more expensives ones are covered by hecs though.

It also depends on where you live and what welfare entitlements you are eligible for. If you receive some FTB A you are entitled to a concession on your course fees in NSW. So you end up paying $150 for the course fee and materials. You could buy textbooks on top or just borrow them your local tafe library. I think for most cert. 3&4's you could get away with not using them at all though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I did a lot of reading on CCR when DS was due as DD was going to kindy 2 days a week and with no family in the country I really needed this, but we didn't qualify for CCB as DP salary was over the threshold. The rules are different from CCB as both parents need to be working/studying/looking for work, but there are no minimum hours required. I spoke to someone at Centrelink and asked if a self paced online course would qualify and was told to keep receipts for the course but otherwise they didn't seem to think it would be a problem. My course cost about $500 I think. Online self paced courses are not too expensive. I did child psychology, it was interesting even though I already have a Masters in Psychology!! I also don't see any reason why we shouldn't qualify if we do a mooc (free online course) though I would think you might be asked to prove that you didn't drop out. Personally, I've never been questioned when I put in my application for CCR, but I still plan to study again now that DS is back in a long day care this year. It took me 4 years to finish my course, but it was worth doing to keep my brain semi active and to be eligible for the CCR.
    I would go for self paced if possible as that allows you to as much or as little each week as you have time for. The rule on my course was to hand in an assignment every 3 months. It seems like a lot of time, but with 2 kids finding time to study can be erratic!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I study by distance and get CCR.