+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Inevitable miscarriage - but not sure what to expect

Firstly I do want to apologise in advance if this post causes any distress to anyone or is in any way insensitive - please know that is not my intention at all.

Much to our surprise we had success on our second IVF cycle, despite issues with a thin lining and so choosing to transfer two lesser quality embryos so we could freeze the better ones. However I’ve been plagued with doubts right from the moment we got the positive result. My first HCG reading was very low, even though it then continued to rise well within the expected timeframes. I had a scan at 5w4d which showed everything was measuring ok but no heartbeat as yet (which I thought was normal). At my scheduled 7w scan the baby only measured 6w2d with a faint heartbeat. What had my FS most concerned though was an enlarged yolk sac – he said this combined with the baby measuring behind means almost certain chromosomal abnormalities and that the pregnancy simply isn’t viable. I have a follow up scan in one week basically just to check that the HB has stopped so a D & C can be scheduled.
    I am in the process of trying to come to terms with all this but I have this thought that what if the heart hasn’t stopped in a week – how long could this possibly continue? Already I am struggling with the knowledge that I am carrying what I thought was going to be my baby – but now I am effectively just waiting for life to be extinguished.
    If there is anyone who has experienced something similar - is it possible it may take some weeks for the heart to stop? I am also terrified of having a natural M/C in the meantime.

I am if this makes little sense – I am just trying to work out how on earth I come to terms with all this.

Thanks
    Reviews
    CitrusRain thank you so very much for taking the time to respond - it is so greatly appreciated.

I do have a follow up scan this Friday, essentially I think just to confirm there is no longer a heartbeat. I so wish there was even a glimmer of hope I could hold on to but my FS didn't seem to think there was.

You're right - the waiting in limbo is the worst of all. I'm struggling at the moment - it's like I know there's no hope but I can't yet grieve properly either.

Thank you for sharing your stories - sorry for your losses and thank you also for sharing about your two miracle boys. Thank you x

Thanks
    Reviews
    So sorry you are going thru this OP.
    Don't have anything of value to add, but didn't want to read & run.. Sending you hugs
    Like PP I have had prev natural MCs and would opt for this over D&C where possible.
    I wish you all the luck in the world