+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default So confused, have I lost my baby?

Today I had my 8 week scan, the sac was there but no embryo. This happened 2 weeks ago too as we were unsure of dates so were sent for early scans. The dr told me straight out that I has miscarried and sent me to the doctors surgery where another dr told me it is highly unlikely that I have miscarried without any symptoms such as stomach pains, bleeding or even spotting. I am still experiencing nausea around certain foods and smells and my breasts are even more tender than ever. I'm so worried and can't stop crying, I get my blood test results tomorrow, has anyone else experienced this and still had a healthy pregnancy?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Hi Amy, sorry for your tough time. At 8 weeks gestation a bean with a heart beat should show up on your scan. I think you have either lost little one or if your dates are quite out and it's only say 5 weeks there is a small chance all is fine but it is still too early to see on the scan. Is there a possibility you would only be 5 weeks? Take care, hoping your bloods confirm things are still on track xx

3. The Following User Says Thank You to bel2466 For This Useful Post:

KaraB  (19-01-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi hun, I'm so sorry to hear of your news.... it may be possible to have what is called a 'missed miscarriage,' where you have no symptoms of anything having gone wrong but your body is still giving off symptoms of being pregnant. I hope everything is alright tho. wishing you luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had similar ...it was a blighted ovum where there was a sack but no embryo. I had spotting then a heavy period at 8 weeks. Hugs, it's so disappointing. I fell preg 8 weeks later and she is now 2.5

6. The Following User Says Thank You to ozeymumof5 For This Useful Post:

KaraB  (19-01-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    So sorry you are going through this stress.

If you had a scan two weeks ago that showed a gestational sac, and a scan now that has again shown a gestational sac and no fetus in the sac then you have unfortunately had a missed miscarriage or blighted ovum. The sac has continued to grow without a viable baby growing inside it - the sac and developing placenta attached to it is what gives out the hormones creating symptoms. Your blood hormone levels will most likely be rising correctly as well. You have not 'miscarried', your body still thinks its pregnant and it could take weeks before it realises the pregnancy is not viable.

It sounds like you need to see an OB/Gyn either privately or at your local hospital who knows how to interpret your ultrasound results (have you just seen GPs?) and advise if you should take medication or have a D&C to remove the sac or if you should wait it out to miscarry naturally.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    We're in a similar situation here. No heart beat, or embryo at 6 weeks, just a sac. Might just be too small to see? Anyway, we're now at about 10 weeks and went to the doc today where he mentioned the possibility of a "blighted ovum" - there's heaps of info on the net about it. I was hoping he'd be able to use the doppler thingie to hear if there's a heartbeat. But it's too early for that apparently. Anyway we'll be going for a scan next week sometime to see what's happening in there.

I also have tender boobs and a super nose. But no other symptoms like spotting either.

I came across a website while looking up info on blighted ovum -
    http://www.misdiagnosedmiscarriage.com ...
    "Some of us have been told we were to miscarry only to find out our doctors were wrong"

and here is one mum's story...
    http://www.misdiagnosedmiscarriage.c...1157cd555e10d4
    She was misdiagnosed at 8 weeks, her scan showing no heartbeat, docs said she had a blighted ovum, but she decided to wait and two weeks later they found the bub in another scan.

I'd get a second opinion on your doc's diagnosis of miscarriage. Hopefully everything is OK.
    Last edited by debsch; 18-01-2014 at 16:49. Reason: added quote & story from website

9. The Following User Says Thank You to debsch For This Useful Post:

KaraB  (19-01-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'd guess you have a blighted ovum. My very first pregnancy was a blighted ovum. I didn't have any bleeding or cramping either. It was picked up at my 12 week ultrasound. I ended up having a d&c because my body just didn't realise what was going on and wouldn't miscarry naturally. I'm now utd with my 4th baby

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you everyone, I am still waiting to hear from my dr. We are very scared and struggling to think positive but after reading some stories online it sounds like a common mistake before 9 weeks. I'm not sure what to do about work as I don't think I can handle being around babies at this time, I know that's not fair on other mothers and babies but it just sets me off crying thinking about what I'm potentially not going to have. I feel like if this is a mistake the stress from it could cause a miscarriage. I never expected this, I kept to all the rules and have been so careful. I keep asking what have I don't to deserve this.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Take care Amy, whatever is happening it is definitely not your fault and there is nothing you could have done to avoid it. Some eggies just have abnormalities and are just not meant to stick. I hope it still works out for you, rest up x

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thinking of you amy. You've done everything right and this isn't your fault in anyway at all. Xxx