+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    You mentioned having a good life if you work full time, I chose to go back to work part time, and whilst its hard financially, the good life I have is in being able to spend more time with my daughter

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BlissedOut View Post
    I'm on the Gold Coast too. Do you know many people here?

I'm a single mum with a 2 and 3yo, I work 4 days a week and have my own business on the side. My kids also spend a lot of time with their dad, so I really do feel I miss that time with them.

I'd rather only work 2-3 days a week, but I don't qualify for SPP, so I'd be financially ruined.

I agree with PPs, go PT and ease yourself into more work gradually as your baby gets older.
    Hi BlissedOut thanks for your reply I've met some really great people but no one with children...esp not single mummas! I have my Dad and step mum here that's part of the reason I chose here. Staying with them until I can save enough money and get a job to afford to go out alone. Finding a job on the coast that would suit (mon-fri) has not been easy but I'm plugging away!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks Leahmaree....I completely agree. When I say a good life...I mean being able to provide for and take care of the little one. Luxuries etc went out the window a long time ago lol!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I work full time and have for the past 6 months (I worked part time prior to that). Working full time means after childcare I am only $150 better off per fortnight as obviously my parenting payment reduced. I work full time as I have changed industries & need some experience in order to find something part time down the track (6-12 mths time). If you can I'd recommend PT

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Hey!
    I'm a single GC mum with a 5yr old.
    I agree with others, while you DD is young do part time work.

I hear ya on the looking for a part time job. It's hard!! I've tried for 10 months, and I have to be picky because I can't work on my feet. So I'm going back to study soon. Luckily the outside school hours care won't be too expensive for me to do the study I will do.

Single mummy to a wonderful DS (Born 11/12/2008)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to PurpleButterfly4 For This Useful Post:

LJs Mum  (18-01-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by PorkyPies View Post
    I work full time and have for the past 6 months (I worked part time prior to that). Working full time means after childcare I am only $150 better off per fortnight as obviously my parenting payment reduced. I work full time as I have changed industries & need some experience in order to find something part time down the track (6-12 mths time). If you can I'd recommend PT

Thanks heaps...I wondered what the difference would be...depending on wages obviously but that's helpful thanks.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by PurpleButterfly4 View Post
    Hey!
    I'm a single GC mum with a 5yr old.
    I agree with others, while you DD is young do part time work.

I hear ya on the looking for a part time job. It's hard!! I've tried for 10 months, and I have to be picky because I can't work on my feet. So I'm going back to study soon. Luckily the outside school hours care won't be too expensive for me to do the study I will do.

Single mummy to a wonderful DS (Born 11/12/2008)
    Good luck with the studying! Job hunting is like a ft job at the moment! Apparently I'm 'over qualified' for admin and reception jobs and can't even get an interview! I worked full time my whole adult life and if anything my previous experience should make me perfect for these jobs....over qualified pffft!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    If you can, start at part time and adjust according to your needs.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LJs Mum View Post
    Thanks heaps...I wondered what the difference would be...depending on wages obviously but that's helpful thanks.
    Also, child care went up from $75 per week for 3 days to $175 for 5 days. My PPS dropped from around $450.00 per fortnight to $67.00. FTB dropped around $80 per fortnight (but I tgink that was due to CS). I am on an averageish wage doing administration & contract settlement in a finance company - it's enough, but $75 per week isn't worth it to me! Hope that helps x

11. The Following User Says Thank You to PorkyPies For This Useful Post:

LJs Mum  (18-01-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I'm a SM too and I definitely find working part-time the better option for various reasons - I think working full-time only really works if one has complete passion for their job AND don't feel it impacts their mum-child relationship too much. I was single parent from the start too and I found the biggest factors against working FT for me were:
    1. Financially not really better off
    2. DS spending so much time at c/care - long days
    3. Getting out of the house every morning - I felt like I was already buggered by the time I got to work!
    4. Unsatisfying/stressful job.

PT is so much better, and I can pick up DS at a reasonable time 3.30-4. I'm not stressed, I have time to do other things in the side (run small business from home and other). But best of all, am there for DS. I think 3 days is ideal and 4 days when they're a bit bigger or when school starts (4-5 days).

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Ellewood For This Useful Post:

LJs Mum  (18-01-2014)