+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    Trust your instincts.

If you don't want to leave Bub with don't. Just keep telling her you don't want to leave Bub. That it part of your parenting style. Google attachment parenting and give her some of that info.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to LoveLivesHere For This Useful Post:

kezanazz  (24-01-2014),mrsoptomistic  (24-01-2014),TableDancer  (17-01-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I think you are extremely fortunate & should be grateful. As someone that has no family around and has not had one night alone with my husband in 5 years I think you should just enjoy that you do have the help and make the most of it when you feel comfortable to do so. If you don't want to leave bub, just don't, it's your child.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MummaOJ For This Useful Post:

kw123  (17-01-2014),MissMuppet  (18-01-2014),ozeymumof5  (24-01-2014),Wise Enough  (17-01-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by anewme View Post
    Trust your instincts.

If you don't want to leave Bub with don't. Just keep telling her you don't want to leave Bub. That it part of your parenting style. Google attachment parenting and give her some of that info.
    Not wanting to leave a 6 month old does not make you AP (as I'm sure the many APs on here will tell you)....

Anyway sorry to digress

6. The Following User Says Thank You to kw123 For This Useful Post:

KaraB  (17-01-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    @ Mumma oj and #1fan, I can kind of see that where your coming from. I guess no one else has been this keen to help out that I just kinda freaked out. I've just never been around people that want t help without being asked and I guess I expected it to be like it is with my mum. Who stands back and supports from a distance.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Sounds like she is just excited to have a baby in her life again and wants to help out.

From what you've said i see no reasons for alarm bells she just sounds eager to babysit.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Tell her you aren't ready to leave bub but when you are you know where she is.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think I understand you OP. I had a similar thing happen when I had my first baby only I had pnd quite badly and was terribly vulnerable at the time. Instead of love and support my grandmother called me every single day to see if I wanted her to take the baby. If I tried to talk about my feelings she would snatch her from my arms, I was so depressed I just let her take over because I believed her that I wasn't good enough she still recalls those days taking my baby as the best of her life which is horrible to me because they were some of my worst and her happiness came at my expense. I realize your situation is different but the pushiness is the same. I don't think she wants to steal your baby or anything though and maybe she's convinced herself that her only motivation is to help you. But I think she probably just loves your baby and wants as much time as possible with her with little regard for your feelings about it or the fact that you've clearly told her that you don't want to go out and 'have fun'. The alarm bells for you I think is that you can see that this isn't just about helping you if she's pushing the issue despite you saying you didn't need a sitter all the time. That would make me uncomfortable too because she's not operating with respect for your wishes. Its sounds almost like shes trying to manipulate you into leaving her with you more so she can enjoy looking after her. All in all it's probably harmless I suppose but she sounds like she has some selfish motivations as well. This is your baby and your time to bond and enjoy bubs you shouldn't have to be forever having to explain why you want her close.
    Last edited by KaraB; 17-01-2014 at 18:52.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to KaraB For This Useful Post:

LoveLivesHere  (17-01-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    Quote Originally Posted by kw123 View Post
    Not wanting to leave a 6 month old does not make you AP (as I'm sure the many APs on here will tell you)....

Anyway sorry to digress
    I agree. But there is lots of info I'm the ap community that could help the op get her aunt to understand that she doesn't want to leave the baby.

I have been ap for 20 years

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to LoveLivesHere For This Useful Post:

kw123  (17-01-2014),mrsoptomistic  (24-01-2014),mrswhitehouse  (04-02-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by KaraB View Post
    I think I understand you OP. I had a similar thing happen when I had my first baby only I had pnd quite badly and was terribly vulnerable at the time. Instead of love and support my grandmother called me every single day to see if I wanted her to take the baby. If I tried to talk about my feelings she would snatch her from my arms, I was so depressed I just let her take over because I believed her that I wasn't good enough she still recalls those days taking my baby as the best of her life which is horrible to me because they were some of my worst and her happiness came at my expense. I realize your situation is different but the pushiness is the same. I don't think she wants to steal your baby or anything though and maybe she's convinced herself that her only motivation is to help you. But I think she probably just loves your baby and wants as much time as possible with her with little regard for your feelings about it or the fact that you've clearly told her that you don't want to go out and 'have fun'. The alarm bells for you I think is that you can see that this isn't just about helping you if she's pushing the issue despite you saying you didn't need a sitter all the time. That would make me uncomfortable too because she's not operating with respect for your wishes. Its sounds almost like shes trying to manipulate you into leaving her with you more so she can enjoy looking after her. All in all it's probably harmless I suppose but she sounds like she has some selfish motivations as well. This is your baby and your time to bond and enjoy bubs you shouldn't have to be forever having to explain why you want her close.
    I like this explanation. It makes sense and does capture what I Ment by alarm bells. I honestly couldn't find the words to describe it. Now I think it is just time I ha a big talk to her about it. Thank you for sharing your own experience too

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Butterscotch For This Useful Post:

KaraB  (17-01-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I get really ****ed off when people tell me I should leave my baby with them when I've already said no a million times. But I don't think there's much you can do, some people only care about what they want, not what's best for you or your baby. Not saying that your aunt is like that but it would still be frustrating not being listened to.

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DarcyJ For This Useful Post:

KaraB  (18-01-2014),LoCo  (24-01-2014),MINIRoo  (18-01-2014)