+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Dr said she expects me to miscarry based on HCG levels... Im not convinced?

Hi All,
    This is my first time on the boards. After a phone call with my Dr today re: HCG blood levels I have been googling and reading as much as I can. I have PCOS and got a referral to my ob/gyn. I started on clomid and had my first normal period in years from my first round of 50mg clomid.

I increased to 75mg for my second round and ovulated day 20. I had a faint positive HPT 12dpo& HCG 54 on 13dpo. Dr asked me to retest and the earliest I could was 16dpo (almost 72hrs after first HCG) and the level was 124. I phoned Dr today (17dpo) to get my results and she matter of factly said that my levels were too low and she expects I will miscarry within the next 2 weeks. This has obviously come as a shock.

She advised me to watch for ectopic pregnancy symptoms. When I asked if it was possible that the pregnancy was still viable her comments were "not impossible but I want you to prepare for the worst" and that she would "bet" on a MC. I started reading various HCG level information so I could understand what exactly about my bloods had her so certain. Correct me if I'm wrong but is doubling time within the 48-72hour period the "normal" range? According to the HCG calculator my doubling time is 59-60hrs. I guess I still fail to see why my Dr is so sure. For now I would prefer to remain optimistic (without slipping into denial lol). I would love to hear your thoughts, meanwhile I will just keep my fingers crossed that everything is ok.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Welcome Lalee, I'm sorry you're going through this stress at what should be a very exciting time.

I had a pregnancy where the levels were rising very slowly, I also had a LOT of bleeding as well, hence the tests. I did sadly lose that pregnancy but during that time I did a lot of research into levels and yes, 72 hours doubling time does fall into the normal range so your pregnancy could well be viable.

I would organise another set of bloods and if your doubling time is staying slow then get an early scan to rule out ectopic. Even if it is too early to see a heartbeat, checking that the sac has implanted in the correct place will put your mind at ease.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stretched For This Useful Post:

KaraB  (26-01-2014),Lalee  (17-01-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'm not sure how your OB is so certain either. As far as I was aware the number is irrelevant only that it's rising, which it is.

Fwiw I had 13dpo bloods come back at 34 and 15dpo come back at 108. I'm now 8 weeks pregnant and everything looks great.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MissusMac For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Hi there

Your doubling time is in the normal range so I'm surprised your dr has said this to you so early?

I've has two ectopics and my levels were doubling about every 70 hours in the first. So technically in the normal range but definitely at the slower end.

If your dr is worried about ectopic I would ask to book in for a scan to check your tubes. It's an internal scan and uncomfortable, but they can tell pretty early if something is wrong. And when dealing with ectopic it's better to be safe than sorry.

I really hope your dr is wrong. Sending you lots if baby dust and wishing you all the best x

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Anjalee For This Useful Post:

Lalee  (17-01-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hmmm, it's definitely doubled, so that's a good sign. My first number was 14 at 14dpo! That test was on a Friday and the Monday test it was 36, the numbers seemed so low, I was really sad, but they kept going up, and I'll be 35 weeks on Monday!
    I'm also not sure why the doctor is so certain.
    Are you able to have a third blood test?
    Have you had any other symptoms that suggest a mc?

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DaenerysT For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thankyou for your reply ladies.
    I have had no signs of MC, on the contrary the nausea is increasing slightly everyday. My nipples are more tender today than yesterday and I have that distinctive metallic taste I had with both of my girls (now aged 7 & 8). Dr asked me to phone Monday to update her and I will request another lot of bloods to help put my mind at ease. This "limbo" business sucks!!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Lalee For This Useful Post:

KaraB  (26-01-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm sorry you're going through this OP.

From my limited experience with HCG levels (first bub) it tends to rise quickly to start with, then slows down the higher the numbers get. I was having my HCG checked every week for the first 8 weeks as it's an IVF pregnancy and it was only in the last couple of weeks the doubling slowed to about 68 hours time.

Your doc shouldn't have a problem doing another test on you to check the levels again. Fingers crossed that everything does work out well for you and it is a sticky bubba, but please do watch out for ectopic signs as it's very common if HCG is slow to double.

Thanks
    Reviews
    At 16dpo my HCG was 95. I am now 20dpo and HCG is 377. The nurse said all looks good and I am officially pegnant - so I'm confused why your on is so pessimistic when your levels are higher than mine! I think there is a wide range of acceptable HCG levels. xx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Im confused as to what she was thinking telling you that? Levels are rising fine.....by bloods there is no indication of any issues??

Thanks
    Reviews
    OP, how did you go?

Sent from my HTC Desire X using The Bub Hub mobile app