+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Telling work the news

Hello all,

It's something that obviously has to be done, however I am quite apprehensive about telling my boss about my pregnancy especially since I have a only been in the position for a year.
    Does anyone have any experiences or advice to reassure me that I'm just being silly!

Thanks guys!

Sent from my GT-I9507 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hey! I was only at my work for 4 months when I fell pregnant, due to the nature of the job I had to tell them early so told them at 5 weeks. I was scared of telling them but they have been really good and supportive and kept things quiet until I felt comfortable telling other co workers. Depending on your job type I would probably have told mine at 12 week mark had I been an office worker or similar hope this helps a little it's never as bad as u think it will be!!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Sweeetie For This Useful Post:

cooper82  (17-01-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks sweetie if you don't mind me asking what was your field of work? And did you qualify for maternity leave?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I had been there about 7 months and told them only at 19 weeks! I wasn't showing and didn't feel I needed to tell them earlier (I think there's a legal requirement to inform them by 24 weeks).

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Piyamj For This Useful Post:

cooper82  (17-01-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I don't really have any advice but I can totally sympathise with feeling apprehensive! I was so scared of telling my supervisors/bosses but they turned out to be fantastically supportive. Still haven't told anyone else at work though, the thought makes me so uncomfortable!
    While most people are great (and hopefully your boss will be too!), sadly discrimination and judgement do still occur sometimes, so I think it's totally reasonable to feel a bit nervous about the sharing the news.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to deku For This Useful Post:

cooper82  (17-01-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    If it makes you feel better I'm in a same sex relationship working in a catholic education environment. I was bricking it about telling them, but as we used ivf, I had no choice. I needed time off and missed important meetings that under normal circumstances I would never miss. The support and care I received from my boss was amazing.

Its natural to be apprehensive, but it has to be done. I told myself to buck up and tell them. They'll find out eventually so may as well get it over and done with.

Good luck with it. I hope it all goes well

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks cande

I also work in a similar environment, congratulations on your ivf success and for having the courage to be open about your situation which some people (unfortunately) don't agree with...If you can tell them I guess I have no excuses to man up and tell them!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to cooper82 For This Useful Post:

CandE  (21-01-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was in my position less than a year when I found out I was pregnant.. I'd had a lot of time off sick and I didn't know I was pregnant until I was 10.5 weeks.. I told my boss strait away and she was super supportive about it all.. I told the rest of my colleagues when I was 12 weeks..

13. The Following User Says Thank You to bunnyderu For This Useful Post:

cooper82  (22-01-2014)