+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Middle Names

We would like to give our soon to be newborn baby a middle name (well two middle names MIL and mothers names). We don't want them to appear on her passport as it makes her name too long. Unfortunately whatever is on her birth certificate will appear on her passport and any other official documents. Was thinking to change it later but it will cost $174.

We are thinking to announce the birth with her middle names but only put her first and last name on her birth certificate. What are your thoughts? Has anyone done this?
    Last edited by Rachael3; 17-01-2014 at 13:30.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I personally wouldn't announce a name and not put it on the birth certificate, especially if the names i left out were sentimental. Do you think your Mum & MIL would be offended if you didn't actually use the names and they found out at a later date?

I have a long first name and two middle names and it's never bothered me or been an issue.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Curby For This Useful Post:

Starfish30  (17-01-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Does it matter how long her name is? If you want to use them go for it, its not like you say your full name very often.
    If you do decide to use them and change it later on she will always have to fill out 'have you ever been known by another name' paperwork.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would either choose to have two middle names or not... The length of the name shouldnt matter if you like the name...

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't think having a long name on her passport is really going to affect her that much. I think most people would be a bit upset if they thought their grandchild was named after them and then found out they weren't.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DarcyJ For This Useful Post:

fullofhope  (17-01-2014),smallpotatoes  (17-01-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think it would be a nice to have especially for my MIL who will become a first time grandparent and we are not using her name as per her tradition. I have seen the complications having more than one name on official docs with my mum, SIL and DH. When I fill out docs myself I'm glad to have one name especially when you 're about to go through customs at an airport and you are trying to fill out the paperwork as fast as you can to beat the line.

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    For interest sake my children have 2 middle names and only the first middle initial shows up on most documents I have for them..I would put them all on the BC

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rachael3 View Post
    I think it would be a nice to have especially for my MIL who will become a first time grandparent and we are not using her name as per her tradition. I have seen the complications having more than one name on official docs with my mum, SIL and DH. When I fill out docs myself I'm glad to have one name especially when you 're about to go through customs at an airport and you are trying to fill out the paperwork as fast as you can to beat the line.
    I think you are over thinking it. I don't think how long one may wait at customs should come into it when naming a child.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lincolns mummy For This Useful Post:

DarcyJ  (18-01-2014),Starfish30  (17-01-2014),Tainted  (17-01-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just do it! Lol! Me and my 12 month old both have 2 middle names (and longer names than most) and it's never been an issue. We took baby to England in November and had no issues with customs etc due to long name on passport.