+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    1000 posts in a week500 Posts in a week
    750 Posts in a week400 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/2/15Busiest Member of the Week300 posts in a week
    As a follow up question is it more or less expensive to go overseas for eggs?

(Sorry for hijacking the thread!)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    300 posts in a week - week ended 11/9/14200 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 11/9/14100 Posts in a week
    I just stumbled onto this thread. What a wonderful thing you're doing for your friend. Keep us updated on how everything progresses and fingers crossed your friend gets her BFP!

So incredible to see such acts of pure selflessness. You are truly kind.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Goblin Queen... if my sister had PHI we would have got back $1400 for her hospital and anaesthetic, but I don't think much more than that.

There's a great thread about Donation in South Africa (which is where I'll head next). the women on there say that all up (inlcuding flights, accommodation, meals, plus all donor and IVF costs), that their trip to SA for two people cost about $14,000 - $16,000 (depending when you go and where you stay). However, you don't get anything back from Medicare or PHI for that - so all out-of-pocket.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    750 Posts in a week400 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/2/15Busiest Member of the Week300 posts in a week
    Thanks so much for the info @MGC Bertie, you've been so helpful.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Apple iPhart6 For This Useful Post:

MGC Bertie  (24-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    This is so exciting - congratulations. If all goes well it will be over in a flash. You are giving someone a life, it's the best and biggest gift of all. I hope it all goes well, good luck! I'm still in awe of my little girl and although I always think about the amazing gift my brothers wife gave me I never look at my little girl and think she is not 100 per cent mine.

From memory we paid about $10k for our cycle.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Rittzy For This Useful Post:

MGC Bertie  (25-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Mum2 - I just love reading your updates. All the best. Xx

MCBertie - Hello dear SA thread friend. Your information on costs helps people make a very informed decision. Thank you for sharing.

Goblin - wishing you the very best for your journey. We went to Sth Africa and have been blessed with a little boy.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to laned For This Useful Post:

MGC Bertie  (31-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:

Default Donating eggs to a dear friend

Quote Originally Posted by laned View Post
    Goblin - wishing you the very best for your journey. We went to Sth Africa and have been blessed with a little boy.
    It's so lovely to hear about your success. My hat goes off to those who need extensive fertility treatment because it's such a difficult path. My friend lost her bub late term after IVF and was considering donor eggs so I was wondering what the costs would be associated with that.

It's a bit of a kick in the pants that it's even more expensive again than regular IVF. I could go on about how cruel life is sometimes but I'm sure that in the donor egg section of the forum you guys know all about that.
    Last edited by Apple iPhart6; 30-07-2014 at 22:18.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Apple iPhart6 For This Useful Post:

MGC Bertie  (31-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    It is very expensive, but for my recipient she says it's worth it and once this cycle is done she will have hit the Medicare safety net if we need more cycles this year so they will be cheaper!

As for me, well I have just finished 9 days of stims and 5 days of orgalutran and am ready for the lupron trigger at 2.30am! Have had a pretty nice run so far with only a bit of discomfort and tummy upset tonight. It looks like I have 10 nice follicles all up (was on low dose stims as they are trying for quality over quantity) and all is looking good for egg pickup to go ahead on Friday afternoon!

The hardest part of the whole thing has been finding day care/school drop off/pick up for my kids while I have all of the tests, scans and appointments but at the end of the day it's only two weeks and people seem happy to help out as they know what I'm doing!

Fingers crossed that the next couple of days goes smoothly!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Mum2EandR For This Useful Post:

MGC Bertie  (31-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Mum2.... so close now. What a wonderful job you've done so far. Definitely quality over quantity is the way to go. Good luck with EPU - Friday is it? We'll all be looking in to find out how you've gone xx best wishes.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yep have done my trigger and it's all systems go for tomorrow afternoon! Fingers crossed we get some awesome big follies with eggs that fertilise!!!

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mum2EandR For This Useful Post:

Apple iPhart6  (31-07-2014),MonsterMummy  (31-07-2014)