+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Some MCN questions

Hi,

I have some silly MCN questions that I keep getting different answers to.

Can you stop Panadol/Nurofen stains by using a liner? If not is there anyway to get rid of the stains?

Once used and you dry pail them how long can they stay in the bucket for before washing?

Also does anyone use cloth swim nappies and what would be the best brand to try?

Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KLF View Post
    Hi,

I have some silly MCN questions that I keep getting different answers to.

Can you stop Panadol/Nurofen stains by using a liner? If not is there anyway to get rid of the stains?

Once used and you dry pail them how long can they stay in the bucket for before washing?

Also does anyone use cloth swim nappies and what would be the best brand to try?

Thanks
    In my experience, In regards to panadol/nurofen stains, if it's a sloppy poo (and my dd does sloppy poos if she's had panadol or nurofen) the liner won't stop the stain completely. However they do eventually come out after a few washes with some sun.

You can dry pail for as long as you need, however wee is very acidic so you should wash as often as possible as it wears the nappies/elastic out faster. Plus it starts to really stink I wash every 2-3 days.

I'm yet to use swimming nappies so I'm curious myself, can't help you there.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks.

i do wash every 2-3 days but was wondering whether it should be done everyday.

will keep in mind about the Panadol/Nurofen poo.

Thanks
    Reviews
    It's actually the urine that stains the nappy after taking Panadol. Not the poo. So a liner won't help, sorry.

I have found that the stains come out within a few washes regardless so I've never been too worried about it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh, and can highly recommend Tinki Tushi (she's on fb) for swim nappies. She has awesome nappies and you're supporting a wahm :-)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sorry, I saw there was another question!

We wash every 3-4 days without issue after dry pailing. The only reason I don't leave it any longer is that my nappy bucket is full after that long.

The ammonia smell is quite strong after 3 days but I usually chuck a flannel in the bottom of the bucket that I've sprinkled a few drops of eucalyptus or tree oil on. That helps lots.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Liners are really only a convince thing when it comes to disposing of poo... And protects the nappy if you use cream... My son eats blue berries a lot and they leave nasty stains but I leave the nappies on the line for 2 days and that gets most of the stain out.

I wash every 2nd day... I was using a bucket with a lid but found in summer the ammonia was worse and actually have my son a terrible nappy rash even after they had been strip washed.. I now use a fabric hanging pail and I've had no ammonia issues since!

I picked up a swim nappy from David Jones and it does ok... I think it's called bright bots.. But I have also heard that you can use just the shell of a mcn nappy as a swim nappy... I have done it a few times and seems to work ok but my son has never pooped while swimming so I can't really recommended

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks that has helped a lot

Another question. Do you do a rinse cycle for your nappies?

Are there any issues if I don't hang out my nappies in the sun? I don't have a place that's sunny to hang them?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Pen14 View Post
    The ammonia smell is quite strong after 3 days but I usually chuck a flannel in the bottom of the bucket that I've sprinkled a few drops of eucalyptus or tree oil on. That helps lots.
    This is a great idea, thanks!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by KLF View Post
    Thanks that has helped a lot

Another question. Do you do a rinse cycle for your nappies?

Are there any issues if I don't hang out my nappies in the sun? I don't have a place that's sunny to hang them?
    I've never needed to do a rinse cycle first. I just put it in my usual wash program.

No need to have sun, but it helps with removing stains as it's a natural bleaching agent.