+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default A question about. centrelink while in a relationship

When df and I first got together we went into centrelink and put me as in a relationship. All this time I was thinking everything was ok. So today I called them about the spousal payment for 2 weeks just to get some info to see if df could afford to take the time off when bubs is born. I am now told that I am still classed as single on there files. They are cutting my payments off as of tomorrow to investigate this. They are telling me I may need to pay back all the money I was overpaid.
    If I was in the wrong I would have no issues with this but we have done everything right so can they legally do this? Can I take it further, if so how and where? We can't afford to have my payments cut off with a baby coming in less than 2 weeks.

I am so streesed out right now.

Yes my partner is working but he has only just recently got this job after being out of work for 3 months. Literally all his pay has been going to cover back dated overdue rent and we have been living on my income- now with that gone we either loose our house or we don't care for our baby

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Surely you would have noticed if you were receiving money from them?
    Maybe they've made a mistake thinking you have when you haven't? Just check your bank to see if they have been paying you

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014
    Basically if they do find you have received too much money yes you will have to pay it back

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    There is a complaints line that you can call and they will go over it with you. You can lodge a dispute too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    You can dispute it. If you are entitled to any payments you can still get them whilst paying a debt back.

ETA: you'll need evidence when you dispute. They won't take you saying I told centrelink and they have no record.
    Last edited by Lauzy; 16-01-2014 at 14:19.

Thanks
    Reviews
    When I had initially taken in the paper work they had lost it.
    So they gave me a temp suspension for them claiming I never took the papers back in. They had told me tjat they could not re-instate me until it was taken in. So once again we had taken all the paperwork they had asked for and they were happy and Re-instated my payments. My payments from that date went roughly $80 a week. So of course I assumed everything. was ok as I never heard from them.and my payments were reduced.
    So as far as I am concerned they have made the mistake. I had done everything they asked for and if they have not supposedly gotten all paperwork they owe me money as they had no reason to reduce my payments

Thanks
    Reviews
    If you have issues disputing then try https://www.welfarerights.org.au

Thanks
    Reviews
    They seem to do this a lot unfortunately.. I just gave up and said I don't want anything from them

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    It doesn't really matter if they've made the error. If you have been overpaid you'll need to repay the debt. You can come to an agreement on an amount per fortnight to pay though. They won't expect it all back in one hit. Also any outstanding debts should be fixed up as well with the payments in Julyish.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Rtaylor View Post
    They seem to do this a lot unfortunately.. I just gave up and said I don't want anything from them
    REALLY?? Did you end up having to pay anything back