+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Any experience with Safe Sleep Space?

Hi all,
    I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with Safe Sleep Space - dvd, book, app?

My DD is 4 mths old and is ok overnight, I tend to get one 4-5 hr stretch, but she's very hard to get to sleep in the day. I'm feeding/cuddling to sleep, and it can take a long time as I can only put her down asleep. We run into trouble if she's full but still awake, as she then refuses to feed but can't settle. She takes a dummy sometimes. I'm interested in some ways to encourage her to fall asleep in her cot. Shush pat seems to work her up more unfortunately.

She doesn't like bed sharing, I still have to put her down asleep and she rouses easily next to me, her longest stretch has occurred in her cot at night. Her cot is right next to our bed.

Thanks in advance.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Bump

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    No advice but sympathy. My 11 weeker is the same.
    I'm lucky to get 4-5hrs over night it's usually 3 and daytime sleeps are non existent unless I carry her.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to SpecialK For This Useful Post:

Piyamj  (17-01-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have the book and DVD. I love the approach, it's very responsive to the baby's needs. I wish I had known about it at 4 months. I think my DD would be a much better sleeper if I had started then. It has definitely helped her but she has some strong sleep associations I'm trying to break.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Leafy For This Useful Post:

Piyamj  (17-01-2014)

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I have the book and have also had a phone and at home consult with them- the phone consult wasn't terribly expensive and I found it immensely helpful just to go through my baby's individual needs and come away with a plan that suited us. The book/DVD are great too I really like their approach

8. The Following User Says Thank You to FearlessLeader For This Useful Post:

Piyamj  (17-01-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    @Leafy can you give me some idea of the issues you were facing and sleep associations you're working on, and how you've progressed.
    @FearlessLeader I've read some of your previous posts and you said they 'fixed' your DD. Please explain.

Also when settling bub in cot do you stay out of bub's view or within sight? Thank you.

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Piyamj View Post
    @Leafy can you give me some idea of the issues you were facing and sleep associations you're working on, and how you've progressed.
    @FearlessLeader I've read some of your previous posts and you said they 'fixed' your DD. Please explain.

Also when settling bub in cot do you stay out of bub's view or within sight? Thank you.
    Well I did follow their methods but the 'fixing' actually occurred through the phone and home consults. It's sort of hard to explain and probably not terribly useful- firstly I was having trouble getting her to sleep in her cot so they gave me lots of tips for that. Then I got them to come out when she was catnapping and sleeping badly at night and she recognized that DD was way overtired, and that's why she was catnapping and kept waking. So she wrote a really detailed routine especially for DD.
    when I was settling I stayed in sight but down very low and not looking at the cot.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to FearlessLeader For This Useful Post:

Piyamj  (17-01-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    A friend of mine has had great success with this with her 14 month old. Previously a pretty bad sleeper and didn't self settle. I want to use it on dd as she is taking ages to be rocked to sleep but am waiting a few weeks till there's not so much else on my plate

13. The Following User Says Thank You to duckduckgoose For This Useful Post:

Piyamj  (17-01-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Piyamj, I was initially rocking DD to sleep. I got her to the point of being able to just hold her to sleep. At about 8 months we were still doing this and if she woke shortly after I put her in her cot she would get all worked up and need me to pick her up and settle her again. She seemed to really hate the cot and could never be resettled in it. Spoke to the CHN and she said that she thought that I was my DD sleep cue. She slept really well if we co-slept but would wake as often as every half hour if in her cot. I have not yet got her to fall asleep in the cot from awake but if I put her in the cot nearly asleep she will go to sleep and stay asleep for a while.

I must admit to not being very consistent and I'm really using a mix of Safe Sleep Space and No Cry Sleep Solution. I'm trying again to get her to fall asleep in her cot. So when I started she would basically sleep in her cot (at night) for half an hour before waking (she's a straight to distressed crying so no leaving her). If I managed to resettle her she would wake up either in another half hour (if I was lucky) or after 10 minutes. At this point I would give up and take her to bed with me so we could both get some sleep. Now she stays in her cot for at least half the night but is waking regularly at the moment due to eye teeth coming through. I resettle until I'm too tired to and then we cosleep. She will sometimes let me resettle her in the cot by just rubbing her back - previously she just would have screamed if I tried that.

Day sleeps - mostly she was doing a half hour in the cot and if I wanted her to sleep longer I had to hold her for the entirety of the nap. She does all her napping in the cot now but does sometimes need resettling between sleep cycles.

I know that I am still her sleep cue but she has separation anxiety and is easily distressed so I am taking my time to change it. We have had two miraculous nights where she has slept through the whole night.

I do love the approach and I go back and re-read the relevant bits of the book if I'm feeling lost. I know I'm not as consistent as I should be to get better results.

And now I have to say thank you to you because writing this all out has reminded me of how much improved she is - though from the outside it may not seem like it because she isn't sleeping through the night in her own cot, but we really have made lots of progress.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Leafy For This Useful Post:

Piyamj  (18-01-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    DDG, how old is your bub again? Will you keep me up to date on progress if you start following the safe sleep space guidelines?

Leafy, thanks for that wonderful summary and your honesty. I'm finding that instead of doing the intervention until calm then stopping as recommended by SSS - in my case patting tummy, paci and singing softly - I'm having to do it until DD is asleep. I just want her to start by falling asleep in her cot. Last night it worked! This morning, epic fail - spotted a yawn, tried to settle her, half an hour later she'd had enough and started crying, now feeding to sleep.

To be honest I don't mind feeding to sleep, the thing is it doesn't work a lot of the time, esp when she wants to comfort suck but doesn't want milk, and then what do I do when I wean?

Thanks everyone for thoughts.