+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Camping - Near the beach, up to 2 hours north or south of Sydney

Hello,Some friends want to go camping soon and we're considering braving it with our baby. We'd like to be near the beach, not too remote, and definitely with hot showers. Anywhere up to 2 hours north or south of Sydney would be great. Any suggestions?TIA!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    What about the Basin off Palm Beach? You can catch a ferry over from Palm Beach which is a 40km drive from Sydney city. If you need to go back to the mainland you can catch a ferry or get a water taxi. There are wallabies and goanas that visit the Basin regularly, a safe inlet for swimming with kids and places to fish and go crabbing. Google it. Its relatively cheap and you can see the availability on their website as well as prices. I camp there with my kids on occasion- a 6yo and a 19 month old. Great spot.

I also recently went to Cockatoo Island camping. It was reasonably priced and there are different camping 'packages'. You can google that too. The good thing about Cockatoo Island was that you can catch a ferry up and down the river/Sydney harbour and there is some interesting things to do. Only swimming though is in a slipway so my 6 yo thought it was a bit yuk.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to BbBbBh For This Useful Post:

JR03  (17-01-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Thanks I had a look at the Basin one but it's a bit too remote and doesn't have hot showers.

The cockatoo island one looks good but I know our friends suggested camping because it's a cheaper option so that rules out that one.

Thank you so much for your suggestions though!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    What about Kiama (about 2 hours south)?

The parks there have good facilities and you'd be a short drive from the town where you can source your supplies.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Degrassi For This Useful Post:

JR03  (17-01-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Have a look at Killalea State Park, Shellharbour. We've been several times and love it there. Definitely has hot showers. The walk to the beach might be too far for little ones (approx. 1.5km trail). But you can drive to another spot within minutes that has easier access. Also, if you don't mind a lake instead of the beach- check out Lake Lyell (near Lithgow).

8. The Following User Says Thank You to SimpsonDesert For This Useful Post:

JR03  (17-01-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    That's a good idea, I love Kiama! I'll have a look online at what's there :-)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I recommend Shoal Bay, Port Stephens. I grew up there and it is beautiful! It's about 2 hours north, maybe a little less depending where in Syd you're coming from.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to JustUsTwo For This Useful Post:

JR03  (17-01-2014)