+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014
    I use garlic and herbs etc as well but not wine. Im not claiming its restaurant quality but it tastes nicw.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    i don't think $300 a week is bad to be honest its just that at the moment i need to rein it in a little! Its $100 each per week for all meals! if you went out for a meal 1 main would be $30

Sent from my GT-I9100 using The Bub Hub mobile app

3. The Following User Says Thank You to KillerHeels For This Useful Post:

NancyBlackett  (16-01-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think people are just saying it's expensive because they probably like me live on a much smaller budget. Our grocery budget is $150 a week. We eat very well don't live on cheap meats or bland food. We eat massive amount of fresh fruit and veg each week and we like good tasty healthy food, I just don't have the option of spending double the money each week so we make do what works.

I make everything from scratch we have our own chooks so don't need to buy eggs and they are so much nicer then shop bought one, we grown so of our own vegies (not many though) and I meal plan, shop between Aldi, Coles and Woolies and don't waste a single thing in the fridge. I think meal planning is great I do it just for a fortnight and just pick and choose what I want on each night.

If you have ingredients but don't know what to make that super cook website is great you type in your ingredients and it gives you recipes you could make. Good Lucky

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by peanutmonkey View Post
    And for example making white sauce costs next to nothing from scratch but you could also buy a $2 or so sachet of it... gravy is cheaper to buy gravox than it is to buy instant gravy...

Not sure cost wise but I only ever make gravy using stock, corn flour and soy sauce.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by peanutmonkey View Post
    I use garlic and herbs etc as well but not wine. Im not claiming its restaurant quality but it tastes nicw.

Sounds yummy

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Benji View Post
    I quite honestly believe our food bill would be a lot smaller if we ate packaged food. Our salmon, salad, asparagus with white wine sauce I will make tonight is approx $30 vs a pack of pasta, jar sauce, with a few veg thrown in would be a few dollars.
    Yep!! Salmon is exy I think it depends really. I make everything from scratch ( well apart from crackers & I've been known to buy tins of baked beans when on sale). I find baked goods to be much cheaper made from scratch. I can make Anzac biscuits, cakes, muffins, etc for a fraction of the cost of ready made items.

I perimeter shop mainly (I even buy salmon but my boys don't really like it so I don't need large portions). I section up meat, etc when I buy it and I can't think of the last time I wasted anything.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    OP, I spend about $250/ week on groceries for 5. I love to cook and meal plan so I don't waste ingredients. For example, if I buy a big bunch of basil for a green curry, I'll plan to have pasta that week so I'll use the rest, and then if I still have some leftover, I'll simmer up a tin of tomatoes, tomato paste, balsamic vinegar, garlic and basil and freeze it in small portions to use as pizza sauce.
    Feeding a family healthy food is not cheap, but if you try and plan so you're not wasteful, you'll see some savings.
    And maybe give the juicing a miss while the $ are tight!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Sub Rosa For This Useful Post:

KillerHeels  (16-01-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Theboys&me View Post
    Yep!! Salmon is exy I think it depends really. I make everything from scratch ( well apart from crackers & I've been known to buy tins of baked beans when on sale). I find baked goods to be much cheaper made from scratch. I can make Anzac biscuits, cakes, muffins, etc for a fraction of the cost of ready made items.

I perimeter shop mainly (I even buy salmon but my boys don't really like it so I don't need large portions). I section up meat, etc when I buy it and I can't think of the last time I wasted anything.
    definitely. Things like flour, butter, oats are incredibly cheap for homebrand. Next to nothing! I know half of our issue is the recipes we use. I prefer chicken breast to thigh, salmon to basa, eye fillet to minute steak and we rarely have mince...on the very rare occasion we do I buy the heartsmart mince. We do have at least one vego meal per week. Even the daal we made ended up expensive because we used so many veg.

I am moving house soon and did notice the shops there are considerably cheaper than where I am now so I'm hoping that will help.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Benji For This Useful Post:

Theboys&me  (16-01-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014
    I dont actually buy cheap cuts of meat or forgo decent healthy food to save money. Im a small eater as is DH, the meat portion of our meal is small, 1 chicken breast feeds DH and I, and the kids share one, 2 chicken breast for a meal + a heap of veggies means a dinner for around about $10. We eat a lot of fruit and veg I make dips, our bills are much cheaper without soft drink, chocolate, junk food. I am lucky we have markets close for fresh fruit and veg. I bulk made DS3's food last weekend and it was $80 for approx 3 months worth of fruit veg and meat for him.

We are also close to a cheap bulk butcher with great quality meat so I buy all our meat in bulk and freeze.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Benji View Post
    definitely. Things like flour, butter, oats are incredibly cheap for homebrand. Next to nothing! I know half of our issue is the recipes we use. I prefer chicken breast to thigh, salmon to basa, eye fillet to minute steak and we rarely have mince...on the very rare occasion we do I buy the heartsmart mince. We do have at least one vego meal per week. Even the daal we made ended up expensive because we used so many veg.

I am moving house soon and did notice the shops there are considerably cheaper than where I am now so I'm hoping that will help.
    yep we cook/spend in exactly the same way lol

Sent from my GT-I9100 using The Bub Hub mobile app