+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default food shopping on a tight budget

I have never had to budget before which i know makes me very lucky. However cashflow over the next 3 weeks is going to be incredibly tight.as we are waiting on some pay and investments to settle.

please help me in regards to groceries i normally spend $300+ pw for Dh myself and ds 2.5yrs.... i need to get this as low as possible!! please tell me how!!!!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Basically what I can cook from scratch bolognaise sauce curried sausages etc I do saves money on meal bases.
    I also either buy home brand or the name brand that is on special also saves a lot of $$

Thanks
    Reviews
    Wow $300 per week for 3 people is pretty expensive.
    We have a family of 6 and I spend between $220-$240 per week.

The most important thing is to menu plan, write down what you will cook for dinner during the week, have a look in your cuboards and try and base your meals around what you already have.

Dont buy too much prepackaged junk

Cook vegetarian meals, use lentils, beans, potatos to bulk up meals.

Buy homebrand stuff for a while, cheap bread, buy fruit and veg thats in season buy things on special.

Plan to cook meals that can stretch over two nights such as a large lasagna, pot of fried rice, vegie curry,Soup etc

Have easy cheap dinners such as eggs/omelette, pita bread pizzas,toasted cheese sanga's, baked beans, pasta.

Bake your snacks using basic ingredients, jamp drops, cupcakes, chocchip cookies, banana bread..

Hope that helps.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014
    Holy dooly I have a family of 5 and our grocery bill including 1 in nappies and formula is $150 a week.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I am in the same boat OP. I'm not even sure exactly what our food costs per week but I would imagine pretty close to that for a family of 3. Wanting to save money but hate the thought of not having an unlimted source of fresh food and good quality meats. I really think I need to shop elsewhere!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Look in your pantry and freezer make a stocktake and get online. Allrecipes has lots of recepies and let's you search by ingredients, then build a menu plan from that. It's only short term so I'd just look at specials for meats, mince is always a winner and you can do so much with it.
    Instead of snacks especially kids snacks bake some muffins or quiches.
    Bring a calculator to the shops so it's not a big surprise when you get to the check out.
    good luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I calculate down to the last cent every shop with my phone.

If you're only doing this short term dont fall for the 2 for $$ if you only need one.

Buy cheap cuts of meat that can go in the oven or slow cooker. Mince is also very cheap and so are chicken drum sticks.

Use all old veggies in soups or bake them.

Out of one pack of $3 puff pastry I can make a whole bunch of mini quiches, vegemite scrolls and pizza scrolls which are great for snacks.

I mostly buy home brand.

Only buy for the week you are in not what you might possibly need the week after.

Hope that helps

Thanks
    Reviews
    I try not to go grocery shopping every week. By going once a fortnight I limit the 'extras' - the things not on the list but are on special or you just feel like buying. I have also heard that online shopping makes you stick to the list as well.

I'm with everyone else on the meal planning! Try to use everything in your pantry before you buy new things.

Also, know your supermarket! At the end of each day my supermarket marks down meat for example, and on Friday morning they mark down the expensive juices.

Good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Aldi.
    Meal plan.
    Look what's in your cupboards and freezer and create meals from what's there.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Me, DH and DD (19m) spend about $200-$220 pw and definitely don't feel like we're missing out on anything!

I do my shopping online and hit the specials section first and buy as much as I can that is on special, including meat.

The 'Save with Jamie' website has some good ideas, e.g. cheap roast cuts can go a long way. He also has tips about how to cut down on waste.

Cook meals from scratch, throw in a meat-free meal once a week.

In terms of 'good quality' meats, you can make a cheap meat very tasty, depending on how you cook it. I can't remember the last time I spent more than $13/kg on meat.