+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default What do you do when it's not working?! :(

Long term sleep problems here but basically: My 6 month old wakes about every 2 hours overnight. I'm having to feed him to sleep each time - sometimes I can put him back in his cot, occasionally I fall asleep sitting up BFing him, so most of the time I co sleep just to get some rest. I'm trying to implement some sleep cues but he starts resisting as soon as he realises he's being put to bed. I'm also trying to use the Pantley method of releasing his latch before he's fully asleep - most of the time it takes several tries and sometimes I really have to wrench my nipple out of his mouth! If I can get that far, he rarely goes down into the cot without waking and carrying on. I can't seem to get any improvement and I have to keep going back to feeding him to re-settle.

As the title says, what do you do when it doesn't seem to be working? Each night I seem to just end up back where I started.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Subbing- my 9 month old is the same - he has never slept longer than 3 hours

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    DS wS the same. I found the no cry sleep solution utterly useless. What I did was feed him till he was sleepy, then take him off and rock him to sleep - while he cried. After a while I cut out feeding at sleep time and just rocked. I was able to put him in his cot partly awake and continue rocking him with my hand and it seemed to be enough to get him used to falling asleep in his cot. That said he was still a bad sleeper but started waking twice a night instead of 8 times.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to duckduckgoose For This Useful Post:

bigbum  (17-01-2014),Electric Boogaloo  (15-01-2014)

Mod-Nomsie is offline Administrator
    Winner 2009/10/11/12/13 - Most helpful Moderator
    Winner 2011 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Winner - Quickest 'Thanker' on the Hub
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/1/15
    I suppose it comes down to how desperate you are to change these habits? We all know babies change sleep habits all the time (however it's always the ones that we want changed that seem to be the stubborn ones that remain the same!)

My 5 month old DD is the same, and I have been doing the exact same as you. But, I'm trying not to stress out too much about it, because I know, from experience, that she won't be like it forever. In fact, when I put it into perspective, for only a very short part of her life. So, as much as I am actively trying to change her habits, I am also not

I know it's not really helpful advice... more sympathy from someone in the same situation.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mod-Nomsie For This Useful Post:

babyla  (15-01-2014),Electric Boogaloo  (15-01-2014),mmy2b  (16-01-2014),Piyamj  (16-01-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomsie View Post
    I suppose it comes down to how desperate you are to change these habits? We all know babies change sleep habits all the time (however it's always the ones that we want changed that seem to be the stubborn ones that remain the same!)

My 5 month old DD is the same, and I have been doing the exact same as you. But, I'm trying not to stress out too much about it, because I know, from experience, that she won't be like it forever. In fact, when I put it into perspective, for only a very short part of her life. So, as much as I am actively trying to change her habits, I am also not

I know it's not really helpful advice... more sympathy from someone in the same situation.
    I agree with this. Trying to change habits only ever resulted in me being hugely frustrated and feeling like a failure. I just ride it out as much as I can, tweak things here and there, it changes so much all the time. I live by it's not your fault, it will pass!

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to babyla For This Useful Post:

mrswhitehouse  (16-01-2014),Piyamj  (16-01-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    i decided to cosleep and just ditch the cot altogether. Even though bub continued to wake, i didn't have to get out of bed to feed her / help her back to sleep.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Bubbles10 For This Useful Post:

Electric Boogaloo  (15-01-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    At 2.5 years old I just continue to co sleep, it's just bloody easier for everybody to get sleep

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lilypily For This Useful Post:

Acadaca  (16-01-2014),Electric Boogaloo  (15-01-2014),mrswhitehouse  (16-01-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubbles10 View Post
    i decided to cosleep and just ditch the cot altogether. Even though bub continued to wake, i didn't have to get out of bed to feed her / help her back to sleep.
    Thanks everyone. I think this is where I'm at right now, apart from quietly hoping for some miracle fix from somewhere that is! I think I just keep getting sidetracked by people around me who imply, directly and indirectly, that I've caused the problem, I need to fix the problem, I'm taking the 'easy' way by not trying harder etc etc. Plus DH has basically washed his hands of the issue because it was the same with DS1 and I refuse to let my kids CC/CIO so I feel like I'm not allowed to complain that I'm tired because it's my own damn fault. In any case DS2 is sleeping soundly beside me right now

Thanks
    Reviews
    Boogaloo enjoy the hell out of that as when they are grown up you will never regret those cuddles and their breath on your cheek and their feet on your head or elbow to the nose, sorry I digress, let the mums that have great sleepers enjoy their sleep and you never feel guilty about enjoying yours with your kids right beside you

15. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to lilypily For This Useful Post:

debsch  (16-01-2014),JustUs3  (15-01-2014),Leafy  (16-01-2014),Mod-Nomsie  (16-01-2014),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (16-01-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Electric Boogaloo View Post
    Thanks everyone. I think this is where I'm at right now, apart from quietly hoping for some miracle fix from somewhere that is! I think I just keep getting sidetracked by people around me who imply, directly and indirectly, that I've caused the problem, I need to fix the problem, I'm taking the 'easy' way by not trying harder etc etc. Plus DH has basically washed his hands of the issue because it was the same with DS1 and I refuse to let my kids CC/CIO so I feel like I'm not allowed to complain that I'm tired because it's my own damn fault. In any case DS2 is sleeping soundly beside me right now
    I could have written this post, every man and his dog blamed me for creating the 'bad' habits and I also felt I couldn't complain about it, it was awful and lonely.

Hang in there, you are doing a great job!

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Mokeybear For This Useful Post:

Electric Boogaloo  (15-01-2014)