+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default DH is going away for 10 days

So DH has just told me hes going away for work for probably 10 days. He leaves at the end of the month.

I have a 5yo and a 3yo and i have never been alone with them for such a long time. I mean, i have done the over night thing a few times but never for over a week.

I always look forward to DH coming home every arvo from work just to have some company and an extra pair of hands.

I know i probly sound like a moaning nelly as a know alot of people have FIFO husbands but it will be the first time ever of not having help with the kids/house etc.
    I mean i know im gona be ok but its a bit scary being the only adult with 2 demanding children for almost 2 weeks

I worry i might get a bit lazy with dinners/cleaning and i might go a bit crazy not having another adult to talk to.

Any advice??

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Can you get family to come keep you company. Or maybe hire a mothers help for a few hours every few nights at witching time? Even just a lovely grandma type who might sit with you at tea time, supervise baths and read a bedtime story.

Thanks
    Reviews
    The longest I have done is 2 nights, so not much advice there. But could you invite a friend over or to stay mid way through?? That way you have a- someone to talk to b- help c- a reasons to keep the house tidy???

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Don't worry about housework! Just do the main things to keep the house livable.

I suggest giving yourself something fun to do each night so you've got something to look forward to - watch a chick flick, read a trashy mag, spend time on a hobby, soak in a bubble bath, anything that you like doing but rarely do when DH is home.

I'm the same as you, on the days I don't work I look forward to DH coming home for the company and help (I have a 2.5yo and 13wks pregnant). DH is going away for a few days soon, it's over a weekend so I'm going to plan some fun stuff for me & DD during the day and watch chick flicks when DD goes to bed at night. I'm looking forward to it!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Id would ask my mum to come over for a couple of hours (like 5-7pm) but she doesnt drive and would need to stay over and that would just be annoying. As much as i love my mum, she annoys me a bit around dinner/bed times.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Maybe ask her over just for two nights in the middle to break it up a bit? My DH has been on a few away times since dd was born - like PP's I focus on doing things I don't normally get to do with him. Have a list of child friendly activities to refer to throughout the fortnight (pool, new park, animal park etc).

And have 'special' meals! Takeaway, take them out to tea (like at the rsl even), fish and chips at the harbour, home cooked meals that DH doesn't like.

Don't stress about the housework. You can tidy up just before he gets home if its really bad.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    I've only got a 1 year old and I've never had DH be away even one night yet but I can totally relate to looking forward to having DH getting home and having company/help.

I can't really offer advice but if it were me if try and plan ahead. My DH usually does bath time while I cook dinner so if you guys do something similar maybe cook a few meals and freeze so you're not rushed and stressed while he's away. Also I do a lot of cleaning and laundry on the w/e when DH can look after DD so if he was to be away on a w/e I'd try and minimize how much cleaning/ laundry I'd have to do that week and do it during naps or when the kids are asleep.

Are your kids good about going down to bed at night? If so maybe use the time DH is away to get your friends or family over for a couple of catch ups, or have a couple of movie nights when the kids are in bed, something to look forward to all day and it won't be so lonely. Also plan something fun for the weekend, rope in a friend or relative for company/help.

Good Luck! And you're not being silly, like I said I only have one but if DH had to go away for 10 days I'd be stressing out massively!

Thanks
    Reviews
    What would be the concern if you were a bit lazy with dinners or cleaning? It's only for a short time. I suggest you mix it up a bit. Do some picnic dinners outside with recyclable plates, have an early dinner followed by a walk to the park, make an effort to talk to another adult at said park and to talk to others as much as possible. Anything to give yourself some breathing space. You will manage fine x

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I'm a single parent so am constantly home alone with my two ... You'll be alright I'm sure of it!!

Once the kids go to bed spend a few hours doing what you enjoy (reading, candlelit bath, glass of wine, TV shows). I bet by the end of it you'll have a real sense of independence and be surprised you'd worried in the first place!

I usually spend my nights folding clothes :/ haha.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Theboys&me For This Useful Post:

Stretched  (15-01-2014),sunnyflower  (15-01-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    See I have the opposite probably lol my dp is always home. I love when he works later into the night. I find it much easier getting everything done. You will get a routine happening and once your DH gets back you will get frustrated coz how different it is with him there lol