+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default ds driving me crazy. just. won't. poo.

aargh. ds who is 3.5 has been toilet trained for months. he will even wake thru the night to wee. but pooing, he won't do it in a potty, or a toilet (unless it's literally falling out of his backside). he won't do it in a pull up either. he holds it in, he can hold it for over 7 days easy... then just keeps getting skid marks on his undies and a pooey bum... no amount of bribing, rewarding etc makes a difference. seriously it's really getting me mad. I don't know what to do.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Mine was scared of pooing in the toilet and we were all getting really stressy about it and he was starting to hold it in and get upset about it all. We decided to just be cool about it and not get upset or go on and on about him going to the toilet. Everytime he went in his jocks or on the concrete outside, we just said "oh well it's ok! , maybe next time you'll decide to do it in the toilet" all smiles and happiness. Everytime he got upset about the "dirty, yucky" poo, I reminded him that it's not dirty if you do it in the toilet. It took a while, but he slowly started to want to sit on the toilet to try for a poo and only yesterday he had started a poo and when I asked him if he wanted to go to the toilet, he said yes and went and finished it off there. We just about threw a parade!!! Anyway, I guess my experience is that taking all the pressure and stress away, helped heaps. He still did one in his jocks this morning, but in really feel like we are very close to being there!!! Good luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    We had similar problem with DD for around two years. Heaps and heaps and heaps of fibre worked. We changed to high fibre biscuit snacks, any carbs were high fibre varieties, same with fruit. That and lots of water. Previously we had been on movicol under paed's advice but high fibre worked better.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't know the answer at all but sympathise. My 3.5 y/o DD has been TT for wee for nearly 12 months but insists on a nappy for poo. It drives me insane. I just cannot get her to go on the toilet. On the 2 occasions I've refused to put a nappy on her she has pooed in her pants and then said "you should have put my nappy on like I asked. I told you I needed to poo".

I would consider seeing a GP to get Movicol or something similar that you can have him on daily to try and get him going regularly. My friend has a now 6 y/o who would hold on for days and days and he has ended up at a bowel clinic trying to get his issues sorted out so he knows when to poo. They believe he has damaged his bowel because of the on going constipation issues when he was younger and now he basically doesn't know when he needs to poo and he is having issues pooing his pants. Don't want to scare you, but thought I would pass on issues my friend is having.

Thanks
    Reviews
    he has been on movical, parachoc, coloxyl, osmolax etc, it just makes him get super soft poo which just seeps from his bum (sorry tmi) and I can see him just standing there crossing his legs back and forth holding it in..

Thanks
    Reviews
    We tried everything with DS1, bribing, begging, stole softener. But he would just not poo, all because he decided it was yucky so he didn't want to, then he got constipated so when he did go it would hurt, the after awhile he didn't even know when he needed to go anymore.

So what we did (after talking to a dr) was start using laxative suppositories (glycerol), that got his bowls going again and he HATED them so that gave him an incentive to go poo. Then we picked a time everyday that he would sit on the toilet and go poo. The first week he properly spend 7-8 hours on the toilet telling me he didn't have to poo, but after awhile the time got shorter till he was just going in and doing it, that's how he's pooed for the last year. Now after 3 years of struggling he has finally started pooing outside that time slot, on his own.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Im not sure if this will hekp anyone but with ds1 i had o put a nappy on and sit him on the toilet to get him used to the toilet.
    Then i slowly took the nappy off over long tiring weeks.
    Tll one day the nappy fell in with the poo. He thought that was great and never asked for a nappy again.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Minchi View Post
    he has been on movical, parachoc, coloxyl, osmolax etc, it just makes him get super soft poo which just seeps from his bum (sorry tmi) and I can see him just standing there crossing his legs back and forth holding it in..
    After 12-18 months on movicol we decided it was fairly useless for DD. The super high fibre diet was much more effective and got rid of the overflow diarrhoea like what you're describing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    This was also my DS2!
    I think he had a problem with the feeling of sitting over the toilet while pooing. But no seat or step or anything wld help. It was just time.
    He'll still hold on now until he absolutely has to go and it's basically poking out (lol). He's on and off that toilet in record time.

I got so frustrated with him that I screamed at him while siting on the toilet "JUST DO A POOOOOO!"
    Not my finest moment and I was horrified with myself. After that I just let him do what he wanted, let him lead so to speak and he eventually got better.

Good luck- I feel for you!!

DH (34) Me (30)
    DS1 (8) * DS2 (4)
    ❤️ My Family ❤️

Egg donor 2012

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by lovebeingamum! View Post
    I got so frustrated with him that I screamed at him while siting on the toilet "JUST DO A POOOOOO!"

DH (34) Me (30)
    DS1 (8) * DS2 (4)
    ❤️ My Family ❤️

Egg donor 2012
    Don't feel to bad, I've done this. Nice to know I'm not the only one

11. The Following User Says Thank You to CassJ For This Useful Post:

lovebeingamum!  (16-01-2014)