+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Never during primary school years. Maybe around 14, if and only if he's walking with others. I don't like alone at all tbh.

Age 20, engaged, mummy to 3yo DS and TTC his sibling! Living life backwards

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Not until at least high school considering I'm a teacher at their primary school and will be driving myself anyway

I teach year one and had several kids in my class walk to school. One by himself :/
    Last edited by Theboys&me; 20-01-2014 at 22:09.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    It would all depend on the child and the area.

In my area, I don't have to worry about any busy roads etc, it's a pretty quiet place here and the school is only a 15'ish minute walk? Maybe 20mins (It's only about a 5min car trip)?

I'd most definitely let them walk to/from school come high school, so 13 years old? Maybe in grade 6 (so 12yo). But yeah, it all just depends, really! It might be sooner depending on their desire and their maturity

7yo DD started catching the bus home in Prep (5 going on 6yo) because she begged me to. I was fine with it because all the buses (there's about 13 different school buses for the areas around here) park in the school car park (it's huge), and the teachers walk the children to the buses and make sure they get on the right ones, and then the bus DD catches stops just 2 houses down the road, so when I see the bus pull up, I greet her at the gate. It's lovely. Though she hasn't asked to catch the bus to school yet. DS1 starts Prep this year, so after first term (like I did with DD), I'll let him catch the bus home with her, if he wants to.
    Last edited by Lillynix; 20-01-2014 at 22:16.

Thanks
    Reviews
    DS1 has been walking/scooting to school since the middle of last year just before he turned 9, it only takes him about 7-10mins and he meets 2 friends along the way.

Gothel is offline Skip the drama, stay with Mama!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm not sure. Definitely not in primary school. We live 2.5km from the school and the roads are soooo busy. Besides the distance and traffic hazards, it's a long way for a kid to carry a heavy school bag.

Maybe one they are both in high school they can cycle together. Maybe!

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Probably grade 3 or so. The primary school is at the end of our street and only has one road to cross which has a crossing guard, and there are lots of children walking to school on the same route.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My daughter sometimes walked home in year 2. One main road to cross with crossing and 8 mins walk so close.