+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    DD is 8.5... apart from the fact she'd have to cross major roads on her own and it's a 5K walk (and she's a slow walker)... I don't think she's ready, even without those restrictions.

She's not one for common sense. Book smarts, yet no street smarts. So a fair while off yet.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Um..... For my DD, probably in about 2 years when she's in grade 4 or 5. We don't live far from school, and there are lots if kids that walk her route. She's a sensible kid too. DS, who knows. He's too young to know what he'll be like when he's at school!

bunkx is offline Being happy doesn't mean that everything is perfect. It means that you've decided to look beyond the imperfections
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Maybe 12/13 if we lived close enough we currently don't

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I reckon about 10 is fine, depending on the kid and the journey. I walked/rode to school from the age of 9, although admittedly it was only a 10 min walk through a lovely middle class neighborhood.

I believe in free range parenting and I already let DD do things independently that a lot of other parents don't.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    Quote Originally Posted by MissMuppet View Post
    They said they want to hit and yell at him?? Did you lodge a complaint with the school? It is not acceptable that after school care is not a safe space for your kids. Whoever runs it should be replaced. I'm horrified they said that, or implied it even.
    It's run through a community centre so I don't think it would be the school's issue?

The carer outright told me that she wanted to yell at my DS and hit him. They've all expressed how much they dislike him.

One carer liked to draw comparisons between both my kids. One is well behaved, easy going and easy to care for so the other one should be exactly the same apparently. I pointed out that each child is an individual and therefore different. So she told me children with autism (DS2 is on the spectrum) shouldn't be attending after school care.
    So I'm really not keen to use them again next year but in makes it a bit hard to work/go to uni if I don't.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    Quote Originally Posted by HarvestMoon View Post
    It's run through a community centre so I don't think it would be the school's issue?

The carer outright told me that she wanted to yell at my DS and hit him. They've all expressed how much they dislike him.

One carer liked to draw comparisons between both my kids. One is well behaved, easy going and easy to care for so the other one should be exactly the same apparently. I pointed out that each child is an individual and therefore different. So she told me children with autism (DS2 is on the spectrum) shouldn't be attending after school care.
    So I'm really not keen to use them again next year but in makes it a bit hard to work/go to uni if I don't.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app
    Please report them. Both to school, community centre and the board of education. That's not on.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LoveLivesHere For This Useful Post:

HarvestMoon  (20-01-2014),VicPark  (20-01-2014)

MrsHoward is offline If all I have is you, then I have everything
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Highschool maybe. Lol

Sent from my GT-I9100T using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Depends on how close the school is, if they have to cross any roads (and if there are any safety crossings). If the school was literally a few houses away or across the road and there was a safety crossing I'd let them walk when I thought they were ready (while supervising from a distance). Otherwise, probably not until they were late primary/high school. Where we are at the moment the school is only a 5 minute drive so a reasonably short distance. BUT you have to cross the high way to get there and there is no pedestrian crossing. My 16 year old sil who lives with us has asked to walk once- and she said never again as she doesn't feel safe crossing the highway.

Me + he = dd1 (July 07), dd2 (July 10), dd3 (August 13), dd4 (due may 14)

Thanks
    Reviews
    For our family 8 or 9 years old We live in a very small conmunity, less then a km from the school & no roads to cross!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by anewme View Post
    Please report them. Both to school, community centre and the board of education. That's not on.
    I agree; if not to change the situation for yourself, think about the other children that are left in their care.
    I would be horrified.
    So sorry you were told this; I did that so wrong.

DH (34) Me (30)
    DS1 (8) * DS2 (4)
    ❤️ My Family ❤️

Egg donor 2012