+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I dunno misho. I have wondered the same thing. Is there anyone on bubhub in the know about that? Are there more crimes or just more reporting?

MrJones&Me is offline sometimes as useless as the 'ueue' in queue
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I'd gladly walk with them if I am not working if I am in suburbia and the walk to school is well lit then it will probably be from high school, earlier if with a friend. (and it's under a km)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    The school we are sending DS to has a private bus that picks and drops them off to the local train station from 3rd class and I would pick him up from there ( 45 min bus ride to the school door )
    I was thinking he would be fine doing that but a few people ( including DH ) think 3 rd class is too young - my brother did it so I assume that's why it didn't worry me - from year. 7 is let him get the train/ walk gone from station

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    The school we are sending DS to has a private bus that picks and drops them off to the local train station from 3rd class and I would pick him up from there ( 45 min bus ride to the school door )
    I was thinking he would be fine doing that but a few people ( including DH ) think 3 rd class is too young - my brother did it so I assume that's why it didn't worry me - from year. 7 is let him get the train/ walk gone from station
    I'm not there yet, but I would think Year 3 was ok in that situation.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Possibly never.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I currently have dd8 and dd6 who attend full time school. We live on the same street as their school but they need to cross 2 roads. I was thinking they may be walking by mid year when they are 9 and 7. We have been walking together now for 4 years.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Year 6 or 7, depending on maturity.

http://rethinkingchildhood.com/2011/09/14/balance/ - interesting article and website for anyone interested in letting children take risks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    I currently have dd8 and dd6 who attend full time school. We live on the same street as their school but they need to cross 2 roads. I was thinking they may be walking by mid year when they are 9 and 7. We have been walking together now for 4 years.
    Similar situation here. I have a 6 and 9 year old and we live just around the corner from the school. I've been contemplating letting them do the walk by themselves this year as I will be finishing uni at 3pm a few days a week, so would arrive home around the same time.
    I'm torn though. The after school care provider here is undesirable. They've told me how much they hate my youngest and how they want to hit and yell at him. So obviously i'm really reluctant to use them again. But at the same time i'm reluctant to give the kids the independence and allow them to do the walk by themselves.

Thanks
    Reviews
    High school, at least. I'd hope i'll be able to walk him to Primary school myself a few mornings. All depends on where you live too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by HarvestMoon View Post
    Similar situation here. I have a 6 and 9 year old and we live just around the corner from the school. I've been contemplating letting them do the walk by themselves this year as I will be finishing uni at 3pm a few days a week, so would arrive home around the same time.
    I'm torn though. The after school care provider here is undesirable. They've told me how much they hate my youngest and how they want to hit and yell at him. So obviously i'm really reluctant to use them again. But at the same time i'm reluctant to give the kids the independence and allow them to do the walk by themselves.
    They said they want to hit and yell at him?? Did you lodge a complaint with the school? It is not acceptable that after school care is not a safe space for your kids. Whoever runs it should be replaced. I'm horrified they said that, or implied it even.

On the original question - I currently walk with my kids to school and I've noticed parents here walk with their kids all the way through primary, but at high school they walk just with friends. I'm probably comfortable with that.