+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Another 'What age would you' question...

What age would/do you let your children walk to school by themselves?

My DD is about to start Prep and she is already asking to walk by herself. Um no, not yet DD! But it's got me wondering... so what age do you think is reasonable?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    Don't know i never had to cross that bridge we have always live to Farr away.

I think it depends on the child and their maturity level.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    In their teens. I personally think that my children shouldn't be in public, alone with other unknown adults when they are still young. I wouldn't take the risk, but that's just me.

MrJones&Me is offline sometimes as useless as the 'ueue' in queue
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Depends how far away the school is & where you live. If I lived in a very built up area with a lot of traffic probably never or high school when they get their P's, lol.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I think probably mid-high school I would let my daughter walk the 3km to school, so maybe 15 years old. I don't think I'd let her walk alone though as there are a few areas that she'd have to walk through which are not immediately next to houses. So if she had a friend who lived locally, I'd be ok with it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Depends really, but probably year 7. My mum walked me to school (well the bus stop) until into year 7, and I was SO embarrassed. So I would start skipping out the door a minute earlier than her just to walk a bit in front of her LOL, then after a while of that I just straight out asked her to stop walking me. But then she would always conveniently need to leave for the shops as soon as I left for the bus stop LOL. After a few weeks she gave up!

My eldest is in year 6 this year and I don't feel comfortable letting him walk on his own. I have to walk my other 2 anyway so luckily I haven't had an opportunity for him to ask yet.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Never! Lol I just hope my dd is exactly like me and is too lazy to want to walk even a very short distance! And I used to hate public transport (still do) so I demanded (nicely) that my mum pick me up/drop me off right up until my last day of year 12... I was very very lucky she was a SAHM or else I would have been in trouble 😱

Thanks
    Reviews
    Okay. So I was thinking late primary, but maybe I'm on my own on this one!

Thanks
    Reviews
    No wonder there is so much congestion on the roads at school times! I am honestly surprised people are saying 'never' or 'late highschool'.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OurLittleBlessing For This Useful Post:

FearlessLeader  (21-01-2014),JungleMum  (14-01-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Year 6 if it wasn't far.

But I'd probably stalk them without them knowing, and keep a shotgun with me in case someone approached them

Times have changed. I walked home 500m from the bus stop, but now, I dunno. Are there more crimes occurring or are there more being reported thru the media?

I think it depends on the maturity level of the child as well.