+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Coming off the breast

Hoping one of you lovely Mums can help me!

My daughter was born on Thursday 9th January by emergency c-section.

My milk came yesterday but I am having problems with her latching on & staying on.

She will latch on then a couple of seconds later pull off and try and go on again. This can happen several times with her getting more & more worked up.

I told the midwives at the start she was hurting my nipples and all of then just looked & said she was on properly. It looks like the top of my nipple is hitting the hard palate of her mouth.

Last night I had to express some into a bottle & get my husband to feed her because I have been so stressed out and the pain was so bad. I've switched holds and going to try a nipple shield today.

Can anyone help with tips on how to get her to stay on?

Also sometimes when she attaches it's like she can't breathe properly?

I live rurally and the only LC support is at the hospital I had my daughter and no actual consultant so I am in the process of seeking one out of the area.

Pls help!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Maybe your breasts are too full for her to latch properly - it might be worth hand expressing to soften them before she tries to latch.

Also with the breathing, gently pull her legs towards your waist, it usually pulls the baby back so her nose is clear and able to breathe properly.

Good luck with sourcing a LC, and call the ABA for further info in the meantime if you're still having issues.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Google Dr. Jack Newman for info, diagrams etc or holds, latching, easing the pressure of overfull breasts etc.

When I had my 1st my breasts weren't too full but they were quite firm as they were still very perky so I needed a shield to help DD latch.

DS had a posterior tongue tie and would slip off during a feed and essentially end up biting. I knew something felt wrong but the hospital midwives said no to tongue tie. A LC diagnosed it at 5 weeks. A good way to check if this could be an issue is to place your finger into bub's mouth (nail side down) and feel their suck. The tongue should cup your finger and very little lower lip will be on your finger. If it feels like they are holding on with their lips (like sipping a straw), if you can feel any lower gum on your finger or if after a couple of minutes the tongue starts to slip back into their mouth as they tire then this would be something worth getting checked.

Sent from my GT-S5830 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    ^^^very well explained.
    I also had tongue tie problems with ds2. He would slip on and off and hurt me in the process but everyone says he was on fine.
    He was but as he was feeding with his jaw not tongue he would slip off and chomp on me.
    Listen to your instincts mummy.
    It took 4 months to get my sons tie fixed because no one in my small town would grow with the times and listen.
    Hugs Hun. Good luck.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    She might be letting go when your let down starts, it could be a bit too fast for her. I used to express a bit before a feed so that he didn't choke on all the milk spraying out lol.

I used to get sore nipples at first too even though his latch was good, but it settled down within a couple of weeks, I think you just have to get used to it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you for all your support.

I have managed to get some nipple shields and it is such a difference! We have had 3 feeds where she latches straight away

Have also called ABA and been given then number for a LC. There is also a support group in the next town so I am going to attend ASAP.

I will try the trick with my finger and let the nurse know when she comes put for our check

Thanks
    Reviews
    Let us know how you get on Hun.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using The Bub Hub mobile app