+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks ladies, I think I'll sleep a little better tonight after reading your posts.
    I'm hoping/wishing/praying that things improve overnight.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Morning update: just woken up and I was hoping to find the spotting had stopped, but there is fresh blood mixed with cm
    Have meetings all morning, but will try to get to a different doc later today for a scan referral.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Still Bleeding

Update: I managed to get a referral letter and got a scan done. The baby looked fine with a heartbeat of 120bpm (is this normal for 7 weeks?). I asked the kind lady doing the scan if it is normal to be bleeding for 2 days, she mentioned that some women do bleed throughout preganancy, but to keep an eye on it.
    She advised to look out for large clots. What constitutes a large clots? I have some ‘globs’ of red which are getting bigger, but I think this is just blood mixed with cm. Sorry if this is TMI, but I can smear these out on the toilet paper and then it just looks bloody (I.e not much substance to it). Should I be concearned?
    It has now been almost 3 days since s ex and the spotting/bleeding seems to be increasing.
    It was very relieving to see the embryo/heartbeat yesterday- but the increasing spotting is still concerning me.
    How long did any of you ladies spot/bleed for following sex? I really am kicking myself for giving into the urge and triggering all this stress…..
    Sorry ladies, there is a lot of questions above, but there are a lot of knowledgeable ladies out there too!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Nessa - I'm not sure my story will stop you worrying (it's just a state of pregnancy I think!) ... but around the 7/8 week mark of my pregnancy I spotted brown and red for a week. Was only noticeable on toilet paper - nothing heavy enough to stain knickers (sorry if TMI) - but it certainly did increase over the week. I would say there was easily some 5cm sized globs there. I went to my GP who is great and calmed me and suggested I go for a dating scan - which helped. She also said generally a mc will be far more noticeable than light spotting... and as an aside normally when my partner and I have sex now I will find some spotting within 24/48 hours (all about an enlarged cervix apparently...).
    Having said that I have read many stories with no such good endings ... but if I can try and give you some comfort - this is not necessarily an indicator of mc and you should try not to drive yourself crazy. I know it doesn't sound very proactive but there is not much you can do... so better to think on the positive side. I was a complete internal mess for the first 12 weeks - very pessimistic ... turns out our little bub has his own agenda, completely ignored me and my worries and we are now 6 months along. Just think - not too long before you get a great look at your baby on a 12 week scan ... and all of a sudden you have a real looking little person in there!
    As I said - I can only help a bit of extra info helps ... because I was exactly were you are a few months ago - but on your side I think that asking for information should definitely help!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to cwtd74 For This Useful Post:

Nessa1980  (15-01-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 14/11/14100 Posts in a week
    To answer your question, clots don't usually rub out on paper and can fell and look like a piece of chopped up kidney you would buy from the shops. As I said before, I am a pregnancy bleeder and would bleed/spot for up to a week our so, was known to go over 2 weeks, but that's me. even now after I DTD, I bleed, and I'm not pregnant. I have a very sensitive cervix.

I wouldn't necessarily stop DTD just because it caused bleeding. Obviously I would wait till it cleared up and the Dr said it was ok to.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to DesperatelySeekingSleep For This Useful Post:

Nessa1980  (15-01-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DesperatelySeekingSleep View Post
    To answer your question, clots don't usually rub out on paper and can fell and look like a piece of chopped up kidney you would buy from the shops. As I said before, I am a pregnancy bleeder and would bleed/spot for up to a week our so, was known to go over 2 weeks, but that's me. even now after I DTD, I bleed, and I'm not pregnant. I have a very sensitive cervix.

I wouldn't necessarily stop DTD just because it caused bleeding. Obviously I would wait till it cleared up and the Dr said it was ok to.
    Thanks- this helps a lot

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Nessa1980 For This Useful Post:

DesperatelySeekingSleep  (15-01-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I dont have any experience with the bleeding, but I would suggest you stop checking your cervix. It can agitate it even more and cause issues as well as introduce bacterias etc. As soon as I got my bfp I didnt check again until I was close to delivery.

Goodluck!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to mmy2b For This Useful Post:

DesperatelySeekingSleep  (15-01-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by cwtd74 View Post
    Nessa - I'm not sure my story will stop you worrying (it's just a state of pregnancy I think!) ... but around the 7/8 week mark of my pregnancy I spotted brown and red for a week. Was only noticeable on toilet paper - nothing heavy enough to stain knickers (sorry if TMI) - but it certainly did increase over the week. I would say there was easily some 5cm sized globs there. I went to my GP who is great and calmed me and suggested I go for a dating scan - which helped. She also said generally a mc will be far more noticeable than light spotting... and as an aside normally when my partner and I have sex now I will find some spotting within 24/48 hours (all about an enlarged cervix apparently...).
    Having said that I have read many stories with no such good endings ... but if I can try and give you some comfort - this is not necessarily an indicator of mc and you should try not to drive yourself crazy. I know it doesn't sound very proactive but there is not much you can do... so better to think on the positive side. I was a complete internal mess for the first 12 weeks - very pessimistic ... turns out our little bub has his own agenda, completely ignored me and my worries and we are now 6 months along. Just think - not too long before you get a great look at your baby on a 12 week scan ... and all of a sudden you have a real looking little person in there!
    As I said - I can only help a bit of extra info helps ... because I was exactly were you are a few months ago - but on your side I think that asking for information should definitely help!
    Thanks so much for your detailed reply, it is much appreciated. Fingers crossed it all works out ok! and good luck to you too

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi Nessa.

I'm currently 21 weeks and I've bled for 48 hours after every dtd since 7 weeks. We abstain 'somewhat' but still give in to temptation maybe once every three weeks. My midwife and OB are not concerned as all my scans show a little bub in there kicking away.

Your dating scan is really positive in that it showed a hb - this reduces the statistical chance of mc significantly. At your 12 week scan, mention you have a bit of a bleed and the techie will check for low lying placenta and haematoma.

On the other hand, my mc started out red blood in cm like you'd describe but turned into a heavy period within about 6 hours. The scan I had showed up a sac and foetal pole but no hb. Totally different to the bleeding in this pregnancy. Although right at the start I panicked!

You will never feel 100% relaxed but no pregnant lady does, regardless of bleeding.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to cakeish For This Useful Post:

Nessa1980  (15-01-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Miscarried Yesterday

Essay Alert:
    Its 3:45am and I now can’t sleep so thought I would write this update for 2 reasons;
    1) To update all in this thread to try to let others reading this sometime in the future know that they are not alone if they experience anything like me.
    2) To help my own grief. I was just googling miscarriage and something I just read advised it helps to write it down- like a grief journal. Don't worry I'm not going to turn this thread into my ongoing journal- but here is how things unfolded for me this week.

After my ultrasound scan on Tuesday following my bleeding where everything looked fine, I continued to bleed and this steadily got worse during the week. On Friday the very small globs of blood seemed to now be looking more like clots and were getting bigger, and the bleeding was at a rate to cause me considerable concern. I tried calling my OB from work (note that my first appointment with them was not until 12 weeks, but they advised to call them if any issues, and if guidance was required- if anything urgent to go to the Early Pregnancy Emergency Dept). Their answering message was on, advising the office that day was closed until Monday. It was 4pm at this point, so I worked for another hour tossing up what to do, then decided to brave peak hour traffic and get myself to Emergency.

I knew my husband was going out for work drinks so I didn't bother him with my troubles. Upon arrival at Emergency, the triage nurse did the usual stuff and advised my blood pressure was high (this is not normal for me). They then took a urine sample, and did a pap smear. I found this quite uncomfortable, first a lovely midwife was doing it while being supervised by the male doctor and other lady watching (I think she was a training doctor). The midwife seemed to be having trouble finding the cervix while being guided by the male doctor, so he took over. He advised there was bleeding but it was not an 'active bleed' and the cervix was closed, which is good. This is the bit I don't really get- I was bleeding red, so how is this not active?
    The doctor then offered to do an informal belly scan, and I jumped at this opportunity. This showed a healthy 7w3d bub with a flicking hb of 135. He advised all looked good and that 1 in 4 women will bleed during early pregnancy, he said I could sleep easy now. He booked me in for a proper/formal ultrasound scan for Tuesday morning.

I went home feeling pretty good and positive about it all. I felt a little sore downstairs from time to time, but put this down to the pap smear. The next morning (Sat) I gave DH an update (he had got home late, and I was sleeping). I was not feeling the best; a bit dizzy, there was some light cramping, and the bleeding seemed a tad heavier with more clots (not overly large though, under 1cm). I ate some cereal for breakfast and did the laundry. I felt pretty zonked, so kept lying down and checking threads for others' experiences. At about 2:30pm, I advised my husband that I felt up to having a late lunch. The cramps had slowly been getting worse through the morning, but were coming and going. One moment my lower abdomen would feel ok, the next there were low cramps again. When I was eating lunch, the cramping was coming on about every 5mins and lasting about 30secs each time. I stopped eating lunch, and got on my phone to check what others symptoms were- at that moment, I could feel something weird at my cervix and there was then a gush of blood. I went to the toilet and I was bleeding quite badly, I had used my last pad that morning and only had a panty liner left- I had to resort to folding up lots of toilet paper, lining my panties and advising my husband we had to go back to the emergency department ASAP. I could feel blood gushing all the way to the hospital, and the cramps were consistent, coming in waves every 5 minutes.

When we got to the hospital, I only had to wait about 10mins (they let me use the toilet to clean up while waiting, as I advised what was going on with the pad/liner/toilet paper situation). When the lady doctor checked my cervix, she advised the cervix was closed but that she needed to get some tweezers to remove a clot stuck in the cervix. She advised that when there is any irritant to the cervix and something is trying to pass through, the uterus will contract to try to get it out. When she was done I could see a lot of bloody stuff (including the speculum) in the see through plastic kidney tray and a big red blob in a specimen jar. She went away and I heard her tell the others, "she has clots, can someone please take her a wet flannel to clean up". I could feel it was a bloody mess down there. They gave me a super maternity pad to use.

After I cleaned up the lady doctor came back, she had just the specimen jar with her and explained that she had removed a large clot, but there is a bit of white attached along the side and she cannot say what this is, but it could possibly be some uterus lining. She would send it away for testing. She then added, if it is a bit the uterus lining, there will be no heartbeat.... I begged her to do a scan, but she advised that this is not part of their normal treatment, and she has 2 other patients waiting- if they were to do this for everyone, they would not get to see all of their patients. I was devastated not knowing, but advised her that I understood.

She said to come back for the Tuesday morning proper scan booked in the previous day, and that will confirm the status of bub. She did warn me that they usually like to wait about a week to let the body do whatever it is going to do, but given I was already booked in by the previous male doc, just come to that appointment. She said the specimen test results will probably not be ready by Tues. The midwife gave me 2 panadeine forte for the cramping pain, and a prescription for more. I went out to the waiting room where DH was waiting and had a little cry. The cramping worsened on the drive home, but when I got home, the cramping suddenly stopped coming in waves! I then rested in bed.

About an hour after getting home, I went to the toilet, and there was blood oozing into the toilet bowl, then I felt something slipping through my v. I managed to catch it, and there was what looked like the sac laying in my hand. It was about 5cm big, def tissue with lots of yellowish and red lumps (I'm happy to post a pic here if allowed to, to help others know what it looks like), I opened the toilet door and told DH that I think I just lost our baby- he said “oh” and was then silent, he deals with things in his own way, I think he was shocked. I closed the toilet door and sobbed for about 5 minutes with it still in my hand.

I came out, put it a container, washed all the blood off my hands and lay on the bed with DH- he hugged me tightly while kissing my head as I sobbed- he did not say a word. His hug and kisses were all I needed. I am now quietly crying to myself as I write this..... I know the baby (I like to call it a baby) was only very small, but I am devastated.

I don’t know how I am going to face work next week, and hide this- I dare not share this with them as I work in a male dominant industry and have given them no indication I had been trying, and was pregnant (I am 33, turning 34 this year, and they think I just don’t like kids- I have a heap of fur babies). I do not want to jeopardize my job. I'm sure I will cope, but it will be very tough.

I know I am not alone, and hope this story adds to the collection of stories others can read so they too can know there are others out there who have been through and hurt the same.

I'm going to try to go back to bed now.... Good luck to all out there, my prayers are with you all.