+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tainted View Post
    The staff sit around gossiping and not even watching the children. They only interact with the 'cute' ones, and will pay no attention to the less cute children, even when they are in their faces smiling and babbling and trying to get attention. The 'cute' kids get the good sandwiches, the others get the tuna ones that no one eats. Kids are left to cry with no attention. When there is a parent there with kids orientating, and at drop off and pick up time it looks wonderful.

I would never leave a child with anyone except for family or close friends until they were able to tell me exactly what goes on, at that point I'd be prepared to try FDC, Childcare, Nannies or Parent swaps.
    That makes me feel awful, I have a few concerns for my child now she has moved up to the kinder room

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kim85 View Post
    That is so horrible those poor babies.. if your not planning on working there I would report them
    This, except I definitely wouldn't want to work there if this is the culture of the centre.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I won't be working there!! It is a prac for uni. Not sure if its the hormones but I've ended up in tears telling DP about it most days. Anyway, sorry to derail- just pointing out that most care providers are strangers at the end of the day. I will look into reporting, but from what many other students on prac are saying this is a fairly normal thing

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by kw123 View Post
    No I would never want to look after other people's kids!

Even if I did though I would be worried about the mum of the other kid favouring her own over mine and not doing things how I like them (I.e risk they might leave them to cry, etc).

My day off with my DS is precious and I wouldn't want to share it with any other kid, particular a random one.
    I agree with this.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    OMG this makes me glad i took DS out of a day care centre. He's in family day care with a wonderful woman we really like and trust instead. But sure there are some wonderful people at other day care centres too!

Back to topic, I would consider doing this with friends via play group for example. Think its been called a babysitting co-op too. But there would need to be some clearly defined ground rules.

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Not with little children, no way. There are just too many variables and too many risks.

Apart from different parenting approaches etc there is also the safety aspect. Not all houses are 'child friendly'. A low set house with no pets, good gating (inside and outside), attached furnishings to walls (eg book cases) and no implements left lying around that could be dangerous if in little hands doesn't compare to a 2 or 3 story house with no internal gates, glass coffee tables, no fence between the house and road, lots of toddler hazards etc. I'm fortunate that we can afford quality child care (just!!). The fees are not just for the staff wages but to ensure quality standards are met such as first aid certificates, child friendly/safe environments, stimulating/fun activities arranged by qualified people.

What would happen if the child injured themselves at the house? The potential legal ramifications would be frightening.

Thanks
    Reviews
    The staff sit around gossiping and not even watching the children. They only interact with the 'cute' ones, and will pay no attention to the less cute children, even when they are in their faces smiling and babbling and trying to get attention. The 'cute' kids get the good sandwiches, the others get the tuna ones that no one eats. Kids are left to cry with no attention. When there is a parent there with kids orientating, and at drop off and pick up time it looks wonderful.

I would never leave a child with anyone except for family or close friends until they were able to tell me exactly what goes on, at that point I'd be prepared to try FDC, Childcare, Nannies or Parent swaps.
    Omg that's awful ! I think you should lodge a complaint with whoever governs daycares and with the uni you are studying through.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Not all daycares are like that. I wouldn't judge all daycares by that experience alone.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Parent swap – dangerous or a free alternative to daycare?

Thanks so much for your feedback! It’s given me lots to think on for the review. So, according to my quick tally, 14 of you would do it but only with friends or family, 12 wouldn’t, and 8 would, provided there is some form of screening/training.

It’s interesting, I think I agree with Tainted, that all child care workers are equally strangers to begin with. Personally, the important thing is my ability to vet those I don’t think are suitable, regardless of the arrangement i.e. whether it’s a parent swap, day care, family day care etc.

Accordingly, would it make a difference if you could vet suitability based on important factors for you, such as a preferred parenting style i.e. if you got to fill out a detailed list of preferences and was only matched with other similar people?

Also, to vet safety, what if parents obtained a working with children check and undertook some form of safety/child minding training?

PS. Sorry, I posted this on both forums again – not sure which one it should be in??