+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Gold Coast University Hospital

I am looking for a hospital on the Gold Coast. One I was looking into was the Gold Coast University Hospital in Southport. Ideally, I'd prefer a vaginal birth (I'd like to avoid a C-section or episiotomy). Do they have a high c-section rate? Also, if anyone had any feedback or pictures of the facilities, I'd love to hear from you!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Apparently the birthing suites and maternity ward are lovely.

Being a teaching hospital, their doctors are very up to date with their obstetrics knowledge (in my experience with Southport (which is now GC Uni Hospital in a new location)). I've found the midwives 'wanting' somewhat in terms of knowledge, but not all of them.

Personally, I had two c-sections, the first was for a breech baby, I got pregnant 4 months later and was offered a VBAC, the obstetrician said he'd 100% support me in that avenue, that there was no real reason they would discourage me from having a vaginal birth, his attitude seems a lot more 'natural' than that of other hospitals I've heard of. I ended up having another c-section because of placenta previa. So both c-sections were necessary.

My lead up care was wanting, but my care around the birth and post-natal care was pretty good. I think they pour their resources into the important part. Which I'm glad of, as I had 2 great c-sections.

They have a birthing centre, you'd need to apply ASAP to get in and not everyone gets in, but this is a more midwife based care program, they lean away from intervention (unless truly required) and I've only heard really good things.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to BlissedOut For This Useful Post:

ericasymonsxoxo  (12-01-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BlissedOut View Post
    Being a teaching hospital
    Does this mean students would be present during my delivery?
    Quote Originally Posted by BlissedOut View Post
    They have a birthing centre, you'd need to apply ASAP to get in and not everyone gets in, but this is a more midwife based care program, they lean away from intervention (unless truly required) and I've only heard really good things.
    Does 'little intervention' mean no pain relief? So no epidural etc? Also, would I be able to use my own midwife, or only the ones employed by the hospital?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ericasymonsxoxo View Post
    Does this mean students would be present during my delivery?
    Does 'little intervention' mean no pain relief? So no epidural etc? Also, would I be able to use my own midwife, or only the ones employed by the hospital?
    Students are present if you agree. Was at my hospital too.

Your pain relief is your decision, I've never once had it pushed on me.
    You'd need to use their midwife. Yours could probably be extra as a support person but it be up to hospital

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Bplus3 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Maybe call them and have a walk through? How many weeks are you?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'm 35 weeks and am booked in to have my third baby at GCUH. I've been doing shared care with my GP so only had a couple of appointments with the midwives at the hospital but I've found them to be really lovely and very supportive of a birth with as little intervention as possible. The birth suites have a birthing pool and I'm hoping to have a water birth. The rooms on the ward are single rooms and I've even been told that the father is welcome to stay overnight after the birth. So far I've been really happy with the care I've received and can't fault them.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to inertia For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Also, would I be able to use my own midwife, or only the ones employed by the hospital?
    You can have a private midwife but their's would still be present also.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to fullofhope For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    So would private midwives be only able to be used at a home birth?
    The university hospital advertise for private midwife companies who attend hospital births, so they do allow them. A midwife or doula can attend hospital births as your support person .

13. The Following User Says Thank You to fullofhope For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm pretty sure you can use a private midwife at GCUH. If you google gold coast midwives there are a few private practice midwifery groups that you can contact to get more information on. Also you can choose any pain relief option you want such as an epidural or you can decide to try for a completely natural birth, it's up to you.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to inertia For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    My Midwives Gold Coast who are based at Ashmore have admitting rights at GCUH. I am fairly sure that the c/section rate is currently around 13% which is awesome. As a local newborn photographer I have had many clients who have recently birthed there and all of them have said the hospital is fantastic. You will have all the normal pain relief options available to you.
    I am fairly certain that they do tours on a Saturday morning, give them a call and find out.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Star81 For This Useful Post: